1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana radio announcer arrested before IU-Purdue tipoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 5, 2010.

1. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

And he pleaded guilty yesterday to one felony.

http://www.journalgazette.net/article/20100716/LOCAL03/307169933

Three years in prison, which will be cut in half if he pays $295,000 in restitution before sentencing.

2. Except for this little nugget in our paper's story . . .

http://www.news-sentinel.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100716/NEWS/7160323

Deputy Prosecutor Tim McCauley said he did not oppose Leary serving his term on home detention or work release.

Aren't plea deals awesome?

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Apparently Leary has been keeping himself busy. He was just arrested today for allegedly stealing appliances out of foreclosed homes, then selling them to a place called "Big Al's Superstore."

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20100902/LOCAL01/9020490&odyssey=mod_mostview

My favorite part...

... Leary used the sheriff's foreclosure listings to target homes he thought were unoccupied, but on at least one occasion, a home was still occupied...

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

From sitting next to Fischer to selling stolen fridges for a few bucks? Man, what a fall.

5. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

This should go to "World's Dumbest Criminals." If you're idiotic enough to rob a house, is it really worth breaking in to only take coffee makers and toasters?

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

And if you're doing it with a team of guys, how much money are you really clearing?

7. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I think it's pretty clever -- I mean as illegal criminal thieveries go. Fridges, stoves, washers, dryers, dishwashers... some good money there. You guys in the media never give out enough credit. I also find it interesting that he has yet to be called a "thug" on this thread.

8. Sports_Scribe

Sports_Scribe Member

I can understand stealing refrigerators. But how long would it take to steal a stove or a dryer as you're disconnecting the lines and carrying a stove to your car?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

10 minutes? 20 minutes? If your neighbor's house was being foreclosed and you saw a man show up with a moving truck and start taking out appliances would you be suspicious? I wouldn't.

10. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Lawrence North's finest!

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I'm about to go into the Star's comments section. What's the over/under on the first comment that mentions how Leary betrayed Bob Knight?

I say seven.

12. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

"You only cover us when we rob banks or run Ponzi schemes ... "

Draft saved Draft deleted