1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana radio announcer arrested before IU-Purdue tipoff

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Feb 5, 2010.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I listened to the closing seconds of the IU game last night and wondered why Don Fischer was alone. There ya go.

As I joked with some of my IU buddies, being an ex-basketball player can get you out of up to 13 felonies. But 18, well, that's just too tough to ignore.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Let's see ... cross one name off my 25th high school reunion list.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

You're a Lawrence North guy?

I *knew* I had you figured for a total prick.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I was at LN B.C. (Before Cheating). Well, before blatant cheating, anyway.

Leary and I have crossed paths on the job a few times and had a few chats, but we weren't close in high school. He did cheat off of me on an English test once ... that's when I knew he was a stone-cold felon!

Actually, he was a damn good high school player who lucked out as a pawn in Knight's quest to get Montross. If memory serves, he was going to commit to Minnesota until Knight got in his ear.

I'm actually kind of surprised, and a bit saddened, to hear this. He's not a bad guy, but that's some pretty damning shit he's facing.

As damning as the charges are, they aren't as funny as the comments on that Indy Star story. It's like the essence of Hoosier stupidity was scraped up and served on a platter. Stuff like this ...

"Maybe if he hadn't been so quick to turn on Coach Knight when he was let go from IU, this wouldn't have happened. If it weren't for Coach Knight, TL would be nothing. There's something to be said about loyalty and how you should own a bit of gratitiude to those that do things for you."

Salute the General!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I don't know that felon is the word I would have used after "stone-cold" there...

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Horseshit. I don't care how many counts and how many felonies. If they're non-violent, give the guy a chance to turn himself in. These cops were probably high-fiving later on and bragging about how they marched into Assembly Hall and busted a former IU basketball player.
    [/quote]
    I doubt that. It can't be politically advantageous to arrest a former Hoosier at Assembly Hall right before a game.

7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Maybe he was wearing a Saints jersey.

8. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

This.

It was a non-violent crime, which means, it wasn't life or death that this guy be arrested immediately. They knew where he was, they could have waited to arrest him without making a spectacle out of it.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

For the record, Zag, ex-teammate Brian Evans gave up Leary after the latter left his firm to work for ex-Colt Ken Dilger -- WHO WENT TO THE SAME HIGH SCHOOL AS JAY CUTLER!!!!!

10. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Real estate fraud is a helluva long way from drug dealing. Get real.

11. Cameron Frye

Cameron Frye Member

But if you're a cop, you're given the chance to turn yourself in on felony charges. Even if those felony charges include murder -

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/breaking/20100208_Ex-cop_charged_with_murder_of_unarmed_man.html

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

You people really don't want to see the difference between a violent crime and real estate fraud?

Draft saved Draft deleted