1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Men's Basketball Beat Writer, Bloomington, IN

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ChmDogg, May 2, 2006.

1. JME

JME Member

pay?

2. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

i'm guessing yes

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

but probably not very much

4. JME

JME Member

range?

I'm sure its probably very affordable in Bloomington, but still, I'd hope it would be at least respectable.

5. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Yeah, but they have at least two major metro papers plus a few regional dailies that cover IU. And that doesn't include the TV stations in Louisville, Indy and elsewhere in Indiana.

It's a fairly competitive beat.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cue the Trammps Disco Inferno ...

... and me when I parachute in for a press conference!

Cue abrupt Disco Inferno fade-out a la Kingpin ...

7. Grey

Grey Member

i covered IU bkb several years back for another daily. my impression of this outfit was it was pretty rinky-dink. good guys (back then, don't know now), but blatant homers. some wore IU shirts at games and there was little if any attempt to disguise dismay or joy at the hoosiers' fortunes.

hammel set the tone for that, i'm sure.

plenty of room to write if you're into 35-inch bkb gamers, and probably a good place to build clips if u already know what you're doing (i'm thinking you wouldn't learn much there). of course, with the beat being knightless, much of the luster is gone.

bloomington's a nice place -- a few rolling hills surround it and the folks there like to party -- and indy is only a half-hour or so north. cost of living not bad at all. my guess on salary would be 30-35. possibly less.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

We're talking IU, not Texas Tech.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

I knew that was the atmosphere when Hammel, who is a great guy BTW, ran the place. I thought it changed when he left.

10. midwestchic

midwestchic New Member

A little off the subject — but does anyone have Stan Sutton's e-mail address? I worked with him years ago, and would like to wish him good luck in retirement. Great guy to work with!

11. Grey

Grey Member

"I knew that was the atmosphere when Hammel, who is a great guy BTW, ran the place. I thought it changed when he left."

to my knowledge, they were no longer knight's travel agent, bob evans companions or coffee-fetchers, but in 2000, anyway, the staff was very homerish. i remember talking to the iu bkb beat guy and him telling me about knight calling HIM into HIS office and reaming him for something (can't remember what, bc it couldn't have been much more than further gushing). the guy said he was too afraid to do anything but nod and apologize.

BTW, sutton is a nice guy. hope he has a peaceful and fun retirement.

12. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Age old question, but I don't remember the answer -

This posting does not ask for a cover letter. Does that mean do not send one?

Draft saved Draft deleted