1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull predictions

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Bristol Insider, May 5, 2008.

1. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks awesome from the trailer.

2. This was also the reasoning behind the last Rambo movie. How did that fare?

3. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

In the summer of 1989 -- the same summer everybody was ga-ga over Tim Burton's "Batman and got all misty-eyed over "Field of Dreams" -- "The Last Crusade" opened with a $37 million four-day weekend on the way to a $197 million domestic tally and $474 worldwide. It's main competition that weekend? The Gene Wilder-Richard Pryor juggernaut "See No Evil, Hear No Evil." The next week? Hulk Hogan and "No Holds Barred." There's was nothing in the way in 1989. This year, not so much. "Iron Man" will have cooled a little and "Speed Racer" might still be strong, siphoning off anyone under the age of 15. So, Indy's take: $90-100M opening weekend, $275M domestic finish, $650M worldwide. It might finish the year in the Top 5.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Indy comes out on a Thursday before Memorial Day.

$175 million.

5. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

$9.2 million

6. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" did $140M over the same weekend last year. The year before that, "X-Men: The Last Stand" did $122M. Maybe I'll be wrong, but I just can't see a sequel 19 years removed from its last installment, having that much firepower. I'm excited about seeing it, but many high school seniors weren't even alive the last time Indy was kicking ass ... Got it makes feel old just to say that.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Indy is opening against NOTHING. Iron Man will have three weeks in theaters by then. It's not siphoning off anything. Speed Racer? You don't think Indy will attract high schoolers, but Speed Racer will?

This movie will bring in all the people who saw it as young adults, all the people who grew up watching it and all the kids and grandkids those people bring. The teens aren't going to go see that John Cusack movie or the Uwe Boll flick (which sounds like an Indy knockoff anyway). They're going to see Indy as well.

This movie will be huge. Possibly record-breaking but easily topping $100 million the first five days at the very least.

8. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Forgot about Prince Caspian coming out the week before to.

EDIT: And Speed Racer's got all the cool flashy effects to suck the kids and pot smokers in.

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Speed Racer will have zero effect on Indy's box office. Zero.

Caspian might have some, but to think Indy won't roll up at least $100 million on MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND is the height of absurdity.

Sig bet says Indy tops Dead Man's Chest and X-Men The Last Stand for opening weekend grosses.

10. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

1989: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Batman, License to Kill
    2008: Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight, Quantum of Solace

Nice coincidence or Hollywood conspiracy?

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

no WAY. This will be top three, easy.

And I'm not even a fan of the movies and will almost certainly not see this in the theatre. But the only movie more anticipated than this over the last 30 years is the 1999 Star Wars movie (Episode 1? I dunno. i hate sci-fi). $350 mil gross is the o/u...and I bet it goes over it.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do kind of wonder since a generation or two has come and gone since the last one. I think "the kids" will want to see it, but when you think the majority of the regular movie going population was barely alive for the last one, it might underperform. That was one of the problems with Rambo and other long-delayed sequels like 2010, Godfather III and Terminator III. How psyched were you to see Jaws 3-D or Slap Shot 2? Granted the level of filmmaking is vastly different, but still...

Draft saved Draft deleted