1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Jones 5: So Very Tired

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Steak Snabler, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I think it was "The Big Bang Theory" that pointed out Indiana Jones is completely extraneous to the plot of Raiders of the Lost Ark. Had he never existed, the Nazis still would have found the headpiece to the Staff of Ra, they still would have found the Ark and they still would have died when they opened it.

All Jones really did was make sure the Ark wound up in the hands of the American intelligence community.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

He is also responsible for the death of that monkey.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You thought correctly, though if you continue that line of logic, Jones did matter. If he isn't there to collect the Ark after the Nazis died, more Nazis would have come to claim it and figured out that you don't open the damn thing.

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Interesting to see this thread pop up today. Disney announced it is pushing the film back to July 2020 after an originally scheduled release date set for summer 2019.

5. bigpern23

This is still true and I'm more convinced after the Jurassic World movies that Chris Pratt should just take over the fedora.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'd see one with Pratt playing Indy. I'm sure there are others who could do it. Are they going to be Harrison Ford? No, and they shouldn't try. Brandon Routh tried to be Christopher Reeve and he actually did a pretty good imitation, but we still saw that it doesn't work. I think Pratt could put just enough of his own take on the role to make it work.

bigpern23 likes this.
  7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

(stentorian voice) bad dates ...

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

2019 or 2020. They still have my money.

The internet theory that it’ll be based around the Bermuda Triangle is interesting

No matter what, I expect Disney to reboot the franchise. I’d root for Indy in the mid 1920s. The best way to go. Indy is a product of the era.

bigpern23 likes this.
  9. bigpern23

Agreed on all counts. I think the main thing they need to do is having him searching for a well-known MacGuffin.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the most successful Indy adventures had him chasing the legendary Ark of the Covenant and the Holy Grail, while the two that are most panned had him chasing the relatively unheard of Sankara Stones and Crystal Skulls.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

11. bigpern23

John B. Foster likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted