1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana J-school dean moves to Northwestern

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, May 3, 2012.

1. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://journalism.indiana.edu/about-us/press-room/press-release-hamm-named-deanat-northwesterns-medill-school/

Granted, neither school is the repository of awesomeness that is Missouri . . .

But this is noteworthy because this dean helped establish the National Sports Journalism Center in Indianapolis three years ago, with Tim Franklin as the figurehead leadership there. There was a lot of talk about how the NJSC would help lead to an expansion of IU's journalism school.

Now, both he and Franklin are gone. Will be interesting to see what directions this means for the NJSC.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, duh

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHHA

. . . I've been to Columbia, and the thought of doing four full school years in and around that town makes me shiver.

4. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Naw, they just both happen to be top-5 J-schools, too.

Thought Hamm really did a nice job at Indiana of navigating the school through some changes in the industry. IU had significantly modernized its equipment, looking at building a new building, was doing a lot both at the two campuses and internationally. The NSJC was a real hallmark, and it is doing a lot in Indianapolis -- especially providing a stream of cheap interns/stringers for the Indy Star. I can't see the NSJC going anywhere. It's one of the things IUPUI can hang its hat on as it tries to be a destination campus itself, although I'd be interested in seeing what a new dean in Indiana is able to do.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wonder how many masters degrees in sports journalism have been awarded so far by the NSJC, and what those graduates are doing now. Hopefully there's more out there to do than string at the Star.

6. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Oh, it was grim.

7. Hamm's departure was surprising to those of us who are involved in the sports journalism program, but it would be a bigger surprise if his departure affects the NSJC or the sports program.

For those who are curious, right now I believe there are about 100 students in the sports undergrad concentration, and by the end of the summer there will be around 30 master's graduates from the first two full cycles of the program, with more set to graduate in December (it's averaged about 15 students in the first two years). I believe the success rate of master's graduates landing jobs in sports journalism or related fields (including December 2011 grads) is better than 80 percent. And that's been impressive because the majority of students coming into the program were doing so because they decided to pursue a journalism career late and lacked experience. They are also in the late stages of hiring a NSJC director and an additional faculty member, both of which should be in place by the time Hamm leaves. So the program should be healthy for the long term despite the change.

8. Big_Worm

Big_Worm New Member

I received my masters diploma in Dec. but will go through the hooding ceremony next Sunday. I haven't landed a FT gig yet, but currently am a finalist at some pretty sweet destinations. Not bad, considering my undergrad was in intercultural studies, and I'm a former youth pastor.

It is a great program, but I did most of my work under the Tim Franklin regime. Tim is a huge part of making me the journalist I am today, and I hated seeing him go. I feel the program has suffered somewhat this past year without a hands-on leader. Dean Hamm had little presence in Indy.

I know they are close to finalizing a replacement for Tim. I'm excited to see who it is and the direction the program takes. I will always be thankful for the NSJC and the opportunities it has provided me!

Draft saved Draft deleted