1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Hoosier football Shock/Joy/Possible Disappointment thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Piotr Rasputin, Oct 6, 2007.

1. I'm also a long-suffering Hoosier backer, cautiously optimistic about the team's chances this year, especially with no tOSU & Michigan on the schedule. Hep had us on the right path, at least emotionally, and I hope Coach Lynch can keep the positive momentum beyond this emotion-stoked year.

I think we could win @ MSU and-or @ NW in shootouts. My in laws are already planning their holiday road trip. But I was disappointed to see how empty the stands were at kickoff this past Saturday afternoon (I happened to be in town this weekend, walked up 45 minutes before kickoff and got really good seats). I know we are dreaming big with the north end addition to the stadium, but I hope we can get more than 30K out to games. And I do hope the other shoe does not drop, even though I have been pretty-well conditioned over the past decade or so that it probably will.

Either way, T minus 4 days until Eric Gordon debuts in Cream and Crimson.

2. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"We" could win?

What position do you play? [/Smartalecks]

I also think "we" (that's right, dammit; they got enough of my money that I can say "we") have an excellent shot against Michigan State and Northwestern. But the fact those are on the road, as well as remembering last year's 4-1 dissolve into 5-7, give me pause. I am full of hope, but also think the fact IU's band played "The Music of STYX!!!" as Saturday's halftime show could not have generated good karma.

I am hoping for the Champs Sports Bowl, if that's the one in Orlando. Christmas in Orlando . . . .

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Probably so, unfortunately...

4. Piotr Rasputin

Dammit . . . . . .

I let myself be sucked in once again.

Michigan State 52, Indiana 27.

Throw in the conference tightening up with Iowa's defeat of Illinois, and 6-6, 2-6 (win against Ball State at home) won't be enough.

Gotta win at Northwestern.

5. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

The problem is a "new attitude" will only carry you so far when your raw talent stinks. Despite the improvement under Hoeppner and inspired start this season, IU still has the weakest talent level in the Big 10 in terms of sheer number of blue chip recruits on their roster. That had to catch up with them eventually.

They'd been playing above their head, and it was a real nice story in light of Hoeppner's death and the undeserved misfortune the program's had in recent years. And also nice seeing wins come to a good man in a tough spot like Bill Lynch. But deep down didn't you know it wouldn't last?

6. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

Bowl Eligible for the first time since 1993 ;D

A 38-20 win over Ball State at Memorial Stadium today puts the Hoosiers in position for their first bowl game since December 1993 when they lost to Virginia Tech 45-20.

Many congrats to Bill Lynch and the boys.

Coach Hep is smiling in heaven.

7. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Great news for the Hoosiers. Was glad to see Hep's widow in attendance. Good for the kids, good for the program and good for her.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Congrats to IU.

9. Piotr Rasputin

IU was bowl eligible in 1994 as well, but did not go to a bowl game.

A glance at the standings tempers my joy. The Hoosiers have got to win one more game. The conference has seven bowl agreements. A Northwestern win next week makes them 3-5, with IU 2-5 and staring at a must-win against a Purdue team that I'm not sure they can beat.

2-6 in conference will be good for ninth place, unless Michigan State wins a couple more. Then it means 10th.

If Michigan beats Ohio State, maybe the conference gets two BCS berths (very likely not). If Iowa doesn't win again, they'll finish ahead of the Hoosiers, but without enough overall wins to reach a bowl game. And that of course would be an exact reversal of last year, when IU was seventh but 5-7 overall and eighth-place Iowa went to a bowl game.

Still, this is a relief, to finally get eligible, even if it may be for naught. But they've got to beat Northwestern or Purdue, because if Indiana is in the position of needing a bowl to "choose" the Hoosiers . . . . those 30,000 fans at home games do not indicate a team that travels well.

I'm just happy to be hashing out the scenarios at this point in the season with a straight face.

10. Highway 101

Highway 101 Active Member

PR,

Why do you have to bring reality into this discussion? I just lost my buzz. You're buying the first bucket the next time we're at Nicks!

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Valid point, but god what a bummer if they don't get an invite. After the dead coach's widow stands up and tells the team to play thirteen and then they do go out do get bowl eligible, to be denied would be such a letdown.

I don't care if its the newestcrappywebsite.com bowl played in Wichita against the MAC runner-up, just let them play in something with the word bowl in it.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Congrats to IU for getting to this point.
    Nice turnarounds at several programs around the country so far in 2007 season.
    Kansas, Navy, IU, even Ball State came in with a winning record today.
    Nice work.
    The Kansas team, if you look at preseason poll and up to the fourth week, was only receiving 1 vote in AP poll.
    One of several nice stories in college football season.

Draft saved Draft deleted