1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana Gov. signs "religious freedom" bill into law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by SnarkShark, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Would this be legislation or a backyard brawl?

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I wish Boom was here to bring up the real villain here, Al Sharpton.

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why should we be tolerant of a law that allows intolerance? And for the record I am a Christian and some of my best friends are Catholic.

4. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

And the 18th Amendment didn't actually ban the sale of alcohol, but it effectively did. There still had to be a separate law passed by congress. However, when we look back at prohibition, it is that amendment we say enacted the alcohol ban. So, yes, the letter of the law may not be what I (and some others) have said it is, but we both know what this law is going to be used for.

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Didn't Hobby Lobby self-insure? I'm thinking it did. Either way, the idea that Hobby Lobby won the right to "deny birth control" (which, I want to emphasize, is not one you've proffered) is nonsense.

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

A few of the good ones, right?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

That whole 1st Amendment thingy needs to be done away with. Far too many people are saying bad things about other people and getting away with it.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Mostly Jesuits.

9. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I believe religious people should have the right to discriminate against whomever they see fit. And it's good to know they'll still have the freedom to feel persecuted themselves when other people think they're intolerant assholes.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

dq -- I accept that all of your hypotheticals do fit neatly into this discussion. There's a boundary to be sure.

But in real-world terms, is there any doubt that this law is aimed at one group of people only?

11. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

TINMHITTMAL

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Yes. Anyone who supports this bill is an asshole

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.