1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana gets largest gift ever -- from an unlikely source

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Sep 7, 2010.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I know nothing about this man's personal life but if you start saving early enough, live long enough and have few of the elements of life that are costly (divorce, children, fast cars), then you should end up with $2 million at age 65-70.

For example, the person was hired me at current position - a guy probably making 150k-200k - was canned last month. He's 57 and worked there 30 years. Some of my colleagues are like, "what's he going to do now?"

Me: "count his money. The guy has no kids, has been married to the same woman for 30 years and hasn't moved from city-to-city like all of us. Unless he has a $10,000 a week coke habit, he should be sitting on a couple mil."

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Re: how he made his money. Marty Anderson didn't marry until he was 75 (to his high-school sweetheart, who he hadn't seen since high school -- great story), so no kids. He lived with his mother during most of his working life -- no mortgage. And apparently it was talked about around the office -- though he didn't say so -- that Marty had a knack for stock-picking.

So, yeah, over time, with no expenses, even on a small salary (with compounding) you can put away some decent money.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

See, you could have said North Carolina. Or Northwestern. Or Florida.
    Mizzou sucks.

4. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

5. Desk_dude

Desk_dude Member

It's nice he made the contribution when he was living.

And Indiana has a great overall journalism school. Ball State may be good for design, but I.U. is better overall. And I.U.'s student newspaper consistently ranks as one of the best in the nation.

p.s.--I went to I.U.

6. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

As a HS journalism teacher in Indiana:

If my students are interested in design or interested in TV, I try to steer them to BSU.

If they're interested in reporting/editing, I try to steer them toward IU.

Two pretty good journalism schools, but IU's is a little more well-rounded. And yes, I have a degree from IU (and have a good relationship with both).

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I think Ball State is more well-rounded! There! In your face, IU grads!

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

My guess was: cutters.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

That was beautiful.

10. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

All journalism schools suck.

Draft saved Draft deleted