1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana gets largest gift ever -- from an unlikely source

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bob Cook, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you ever wondered, what do those overnight people at wire services do, I can tell you one thing they don't do -- spend a lot of money. That may be why the IU School of Journalism got its largest single gift -- $1.75 million -- from Marty Anderson, who worked forever as the overnight guy at the AP in Indianapolis:

http://www.indystar.com/article/20100907/BUSINESS/309070004/Retired-reporter-gives-1.75M-to-IU-journalism

There are a ton of people who came through the AP in Indianapolis who got trained by Marty, including my own wife. Apparently he should have been offering financial as well as journalism advice. Great catch for IU, and my thanks to Marty for giving money to the ol' alma mater, and all he did to kick off my wife's career.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I really thought it was going to be a gift from Bob Knight.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I was thinking Gene Keady.

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Todd Leary had a check written out, until...

5. Bubbler

Todd Leary is currently writing checks his butt can't cash. Though there may be some in prison who figure out a way to make a deposit into his account so to speak.

6. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised if Knight has quietly written checks to IU. Everyone dumps on the guy for all the idiotic things he has done, but being that most of us are journalists in search of balanced coverage, I can assure you that Knight has done his fair share of philanthropy over the years, favors as well as financial.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

http://journalism.indiana.edu/news/alumnus-marty-anderson-gives-1-75-million-to-school-scholarships/

I was puzzled by this part:

"It is so gratifying to me to know that this money, for many years, will provide these scholarships for young people in Indiana, and that they can go to the finest journalism facility in the country," he added.

I guess he thought he was giving scholarships to Missouri?

;D :D ;D :D

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Best line in that story: "The news release did not say how he made his fortune."

The writer didn't believe he put away that much money from a writing gig??

9. Bubbler

He's really confused because IU isn't even the best journalism school in the state of Indiana.

10. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Hey, them's fightin' words.

11. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

He would know.

12. Bubbler

Awkward context be damned! So ...

I'd rather Ball U than IU. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted