1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana flooding (updating with more Midwest damage)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Indiana flooding

dragonzo, are you really staying at your office tonight? you might need to start a running thread.

2. dragonzo

dragonzo Guest

Be careful what you ask for. ;D
    I guess I could at least until either the nearby river or the infamous cockroaches get me. In the meantime, we're supposed to put out a paper ... even though there's no way it gets delivered.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

My thoughts go to Dragonzo, whose office (and cockroaches) I know well, as well as the residents and co-workers in my current city, which is getting hit hard.

I'm on vacation right now, so I have only read what the ramifications are. I'm pretty certain my own house is safe because I'm on relative high ground, but I'm not so sure some of my co-workers' can say the same. One of my guys lives right next to a drainage creek in one of the hardest hit parts of my city.

I hope everyone's OK.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Been calling around. Found out at least two of our sports guys have been displaced by flooding. I'm six states away and feeling pretty guilty that I can't help right now.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Two carriers for the Grand Rapids (Mich.) Press drowned when they drove off a washed-out road. I'd hate to be out delivering papers in the middle of the night with something like that going on.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

God, that's terrible. Maybe papers shouldn't be trying to deliver in these situations.

7. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Dude, your home town got nailed this weekend, too. Maybe not quite as bad as Indiana, but pretty damn bad.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

We heard tornado sirens as we turned the corner to Larraway Road (which NASCAR writers might know as one of the entry points to the Chicagoland Speedway) on our way to a family party in Frankfort, Ill. Fortunately, the actual tornado that went through Frankfort had come 90 minutes before, but this for the tornado that ripped through other south suburbs and is why I-57 from Kankakee to just over the Cook County line is still closed today. There are high-tension power line towers that got pushed to the ground.

And more storms for the Midwest today. Yay!

By the way, add these storms to the reasons you'll soon be paying big bucks for anything with corn or soybeans in it:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601082&sid=aq9C8pBMEs.M&refer=canada

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If you remember spending any summers at Lake Delton in Wisconsin Dells, all you have left are your memories. The rain in Wisconsin was bad enough to send the man-made lake bursting past its dam, and now it's a 267-acre mud pit surrounded by big houses and soon-to-be-empty resorts:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-061008-lake-delton-flood-,0,1757046.story

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

They say it'll be repaired and eventually re-filled ... when that is, who knows?

UPDATE: The lake will be dry the rest of the year ... http://www.jsonline.com/watch/?watch=1&date=6/10/2008&id=41193

Video of a house being swept away: http://video.ap.org/v/Legacy.aspx?partner=en-ap&g=a58801b0-588c-4564-9075-3f63c8f6e281&f=WIMIL&mk=en-ap

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Hate to hijack this thread. Today, it's Iowa getting rocked with floods.

The Cedar River has made things chaotic in my home area of Waterloo-Cedar Falls.

The first few are courtesy of the Des Moines Register:

[​IMG] The 5th Street Bridge in downtown Waterloo.

[​IMG] The downtown railroad bridge collapses and get washes out.

[​IMG]
    The intersection of West 5th and Commerical Street. Behind the pedestrian skywalk to the right is the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier building.

[​IMG] Riverside Drive in Waterloo.

[​IMG]
    Deer fighting to move upstream in the raising Cedar River in Cedar Falls.

Honestly, it's a mess here. Des Moines has shut down all of it's downtown bridges as Saylorville Lake up north is opening up their emergency spillway to alleviate the rising water; parts of Iowa City and Coralville are under water and the Coralville Lake is about to overflow.

What makes it even worse is that New Hartford, one of the towns that was hit by the Memorial Day weekend tornado, is totally under water.

We're looking at more rain in 5 out of the next 7 days. Not good.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted