1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat writer, The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Sorry to read your story, rcsoxfan.

Your first sentence pretty much hits it. I'm an IU grad so I'll admit some bias, but for heaven's sake this is a very good job. I don't know what some of you are looking for, but if you're looking for a better college beat gig to send "chills up your spine", you'll be looking for a long time. Especially these days.

2. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

What a couple of shitheads you musy have worked for, rcsoxfan. That really sucks.

Keep your head up ... there's got to be something out there for a good sportswriter like yourself.

And as for the asshats at your former shop ... They'll get it all back. Karma is a bitch ... and she's got game.

3. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

Speaking on behalf of the people of the great state of Indiana, we're crushed that you won't be coming to work in our fine state.

*sarcasm off*

4. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

Thanks sportsguydave for the positive thoughts and for the continued hope for kharma...it is a funny thing and hopefully you're right. we'll hang in there and see what happens...

5. sheath

sheath New Member

There are a lot of great college beat writer jobs in the country, IU basketball is one of them.

6. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

It makes my day to see this job listed and I mean that as much as I can possibly mean it. In times like these, to see an opportunity like this one on a job board is, well, uplifting in a small way.

I'm not applying. I'm liking my job now and my wife loves hers where we are. But I can think of a few unemployed folks that get depressed by what the options are out there and they have to see this job and feel like there's still a chance.

God bless Bloomington.

7. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

IU football has left something to be desired over time, but the men's basketball program is one of the traditional powers in NCAA history. Names like Bobby Knight, Isiah Thomas, Kent Benson, Scott May, Walt Bellamy, Quinn Buckner, Calbert Cheaney. Strong fanbase and tremendous support.

8. Hey, you can take it back even further than that, to guys like Branch McCracken, the Van Arsdales, Don Schlundt and Everett Dean.

See, I know my IU basketball history! Does that mean I get the job?

9. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Very few know those names you mentioned. You're hired!

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Schlundt may be the only one that is not still a household name in Indiana. And I could be totally wrong on that.

11. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Just an FYI (because some have asked)...

I'll read all applications that are submitted by Friday.

After that, we're hoping to move pretty quickly.

12. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

Not to mention Tom Crean is excellent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.