1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat writer, The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thank God I didn't go to Ohio U., then.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I'll take the over, definitely.

A chance to have a Big 10 football/basketball beat? These types of gigs don't open often, folks. Go for it!

And to echo what a few others have said, Bloomington is a great college town. Beautiful campus, and a good mix of students from different places (at least that's what I recall).

3. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

It's all about drawing a line in the sand. When you're asked to do more than what you've budgeted for the week, talk with your boss about the priorities and adjust the schedule.

And if your boss isn't willing to work with you, then it's time to plan/implement your exit strategy.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'm guessing all the folks who left the business and got other jobs are not looking to return to the business considering it will be dead in three years. *

* Unless we stop giving it away for free and training a whole new generation to never, ever pay for our product.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Crimson, you know I love you, but seriously? Bloomington probably isn't in the top 10 most liberal spots in the Midwest.

Madison laughs at that.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Some good dudes at the H-T. Five years ago, I would've jumped on it. Good luck to those that do.

7. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Harvey Korman? He's still dead, isn't he?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  8. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

This is a gig that most people would die to get a shoot at. But like you have all said 400+ resumes and 300+ will never get so much as an email or call.

9. Max Mercy

Max Mercy Member

Most people would die to get a shot at? Look, this is a very solid job. A job I might like to have, even, if I weren't tied down and content where I am. But, come on, I don't think too many people would die to get a shot at a job at a 25,000-circ suburban. I know the job market is grotesque, but this isn't the lead columnist gig at the Washington Post. It's a good job. Let's leave it at that.

10. Doctor Seuss

Doctor Seuss New Member

I agree. This would be a decent college beat to have, but I've already got one, and I'm quite content to stay where I'm at. This isn't Notre Dame or Texas football and it's not North Carolina or Kansas basketball. It's a good job for sure, but it's not sending chills up and down my spine.

Anyway, didn't this job come open just a couple years ago? Seems like I remember reading this on here previously. Maybe it was three or four years ago, but I'm almost positive this gig has been open somewhat recently. What happened to the guy that was covering Indiana for them?

11. sportsguydave

sportsguydave Active Member

The former Indiana beat writer was just promoted to sports editor.

12. rcsoxfan

rcsoxfan Member

To all of you who are NOT from the Midwest and more specifically, INDIANA, this job is one of the premier jobs in the state. Being the hometown beat writer for the Hoosiers is considered by some to be royalty and at the very least knighthood, no pun intended.
    While those of you who already have a beat job and haven't felt the sting of not having a job in the industry can only begin to appreciate what landing a job such as this one would mean to a person in the position that I'm sitting now. Not to elaborate or whine or cry, but for someone who has pounded away for nearly 10 years in small town markets and the last four in a tiny, low-paying, obscure market with a pair of bosses who decided to hire a replacement at less than the crappy wages I was getting before telling me, then planning on handing me the pink slip after the busiest sports season of the year so their new "boy" could be slowly spooned into the job, landing this job is just about one step short of utopia.
    And before all you critics out there start lambasting me for this post, keep in mind that you don't always appreciate what you have until you don't have it.
    I'd give more than any interest I've built in whatever forces that be to just get an interview for this job, which likely won't happen. and as for getting the job well, I can't imagine what that would be like.
    Sorry guys if I'm sounding off the deep end, but unemployment, being told that after four years your work wasn't good enough anymore was just a little bit deflating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.