1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat writer, The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

Good point regarding Mr. Hammel.

The deal-breaker for me (not saying it is for everyone) would be living in Indiana. Not interested in a downward move in terms of what I cover now or where I live.

Looks like the SE provided answers to the points I raised.

Good luck to those interested.

2. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

What's the travel situation here? All football road games? Most if not all basketball road games?

3. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

If Indiana football or men's basketball is playing, we're watching from press row.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Would ya?

Still. Those uninterested in working his or her ass off -- even covering things off your regular beat -- need not apply. Just spitballin' a little, but I'm guessing that's the case.

Good luck with your search, Mr. Korman.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Yeah, it's not like there will be much football/hoops overlap. The Hoosier footballers have been to one bowl game since 1994, so their season is generally over by Thanksgiving.

6. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Thanks for chiming in. If you aren't interested in the job ... why are you on this thread exactly?

7. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Bloomington is a really, really nice place. Probably the most liberal spot in the Midwest, but that's only right in town. It's a small, but very cosmopolitan town. And you're an hour from Indy, two from Louisville, 2.5 from Cincinnati, 4 from Chicago ...

8. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

So I have to check in with you first before I'm allowed to read and/or post on a thread?

You must really be a top-notch comm sports guy.

9. BYUSportsGuy

BYUSportsGuy Member

Like was said above, Bloomington is a top-notch college town. Everyone should want this gig. I lived in Kentucky and Indiana for two years and loved it. If you think Bloomington is a terrible place to live, you're crazy. Go to the Sandusky or Roswell thread—then you'll see a terrible place to live!

10. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I suspect the job has gotten much more tolerable since noted media critic --- turned media talking head --- Robert Montgomery Knight has left town.

Oh, and no Kelvin Sampson to deal with, either.

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Bloomington isn't even the most liberal town in the Great Lakes states, let alone all of the midwest! You've clearly never been to Athens, Ohio, where hippies moved after being a hippie became unpopular.

12. writestuff1

writestuff1 Member

I've seen 400 tossed around a few times. Is that the over/under on the number of people who apply for the job? I would think it would be much higher these days.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.