1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat writer, The Herald-Times (Bloomington, Ind.)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Chris_Korman, Jun 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

The Herald-Times in Bloomington, Ind., needs a beat writer to cover Indiana University football and men’s basketball and to perform other duties as assigned. The applicant should have experience breaking news, writing enterprise and using all forms of new media to reach readers/viewers/users. Must have valid driver’s license and reliable transportation. Deadline to apply is Friday, July 10. Send cover letter, resume and three writing samples to ksutton@heraldt.com.

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

This won't generate much interest.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

No kidding, Sonner.
    I do not envy the person who has to sort through the 400 applications that will roll in for this one.

4. JackReacher

I'm sure everyone on this board knows at least four or five people who will want this job.

Good luck to everyone, including -- as MU said -- the poor soul(s) who will sort through all the apps in search of a winner.

5. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

I'm guessing they are trying to discourage those who might ride horses to practice and/or games.

Surprised that a paper in Bloomington wouldn't have separate FB and BB writers. Does the person who gets this gig have a backup or do they just run him or her into the ground for a year or two and then hire another person?

Loved the part about other duties when assigned. Those who are kick-ass reporters who have covered both FB and BB on Division I beats seldom have the time to recharge in between seasons, let alone do too many other assignments.

Sounds like about four weeks of comp time might be needed to make up for all the seven-day workweeks, particularly during the football/hoops overlap.

6. JackReacher

I know plenty D1 FB and BB writers who do "other assignments" during their respective offseasons. Sure, it's a lot of work, but with this job market....tough shit. Either do it or get out of the way and let someone else do it.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Bob Hammel had that gig for decades, I wouldn't say he was run into the ground. And Indiana football isn't the most grueling of beats in terms of a consistently good team that's gonna keep you swamped through a January bowl game.

As for the "other duties," if that's a deal-breaker for you, well, there's gonna be at least 400 other candidates who won't have a problem with it. (Edit: what Ryan said.)

8. RangerBear

RangerBear New Member

Who is the SE at this shop? I may be blind but I couldn't find the info on the website. Sounds like a good gig but not a pleasurable task of reading hundreds of applications.

9. JackReacher

I believe Mr. Korman was just named the SE not long ago.

10. joe king

joe king Active Member

What's the pay range here? Are we talking 30s, 50s or somewhere between? Or more or less, for that matter?

11. Chris_Korman

Chris_Korman Member

Yes, I'm now the sports editor.

I'll also continue being a part of the Indiana beat, as the columnist/enterprise writer/back-up/blogger/tweeter/video guy/whatever. The beat writer will have plenty of help; as you can guess, we have many people involved with our Indiana coverage.

As for going through all of these resumes....I'm sure it will turn out to be a daunting task. But I'm actually excited about it, too. As has been noted, there's so much talent out there.

Please feel free to PM me with more specific questions.

12. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

If I were to be on this beat, I would request that Ryan Sonner be hired by the competitor paper on the beat so I could whip his snotty tail all year long.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.