1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana beat -- Peegs.com/Rivals

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Mike Pegram, May 11, 2011.

1. BYH

BYH Active Member

Does the comprehension include benefits?

2. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Gee, morons, it's a job. If you don't like it, don't apply and let others do so.

You can ask questions about compensation when and IF you are actually offered a position. Until that time, find some other way to get your jollies besides insulting a person who has the decency to post an opening here.

3. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

I only ask about compensation because I've been wondering what these guys make. Do they earn more than the newspaper's local beat writer? Probably would be interesting to see because it probably gives a hint at how stable these positions are.

4. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Actually, it doesn't. Patch is paying its editors $40K, more than many weekly newspaper editors in the same markets, and Tim Armstrong's little project in its current state is doomed.

Just because you graduated college last year doesn't mean you know, well, everything.

5. dkphxf

dkphxf Member

Let's just say I have more faith in sites directed at ("crazy") sports fans working than sites dedicated solely for one small market. I believe they have found a better niche. Yes, that's a fancy college word.

6. Ice9

Ice9 Active Member

I love it when people on this board get all sensitive and preachy

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Fair enough, Ice9. Apologies to Mike for derailing the thread, but when the same person asks stupid questions repeatedly, he/she should be called out.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Can't speak to pay and benefits, but Mike does a tremendous job covering Indiana basketball news for an audience that's rabid for it, and does so across a number of platforms.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

No. Not even if you are an owner.

10. jfs1000

jfs1000 Member

This seems like a good job for those that fit.

Independent contractor is key word for no benefits and no payroll taxes though, so it's not for everyone.

That's all anyone wants to hire these days because they shift a lot of the tax burden to the sub contractor (think payroll taxes, insurance, unemployment insurance, HR issues etc.). This is not a bad way to work as you long as you understand that they aren't your boss in the traditional sense. Think outside consultant.

It's a 1099-misc job, and that means a 15 percent off the top in payroll taxes as well as not withholding federal and state taxes.

A lot of times, it's not as much money as you think. Also, if you are getting paid in the $20,000-$30,000 range as a freelancer you need to do some heavy tax lifting as far as quarterlies. If you don't know what that is or about it's best you learn before you take a job like this.

You are essentially self-employed.

ALSO -- KEEP TRACK OF ALL YOUR MILEAGE AND EXPENSES.

11. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

I always filed annually, not quarterly, when I was a stringer.

Of course, I also had a tax account where I stashed 25-30 percent of each check.

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Do you get to cover swimming? I think our reading-challenged buddy needs to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted