1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indiana affiliate to offer Sports Journalism Master's Degree

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Piotr Rasputin, Dec 12, 2009.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Please. You're giving employers far too much credit.

The most important factor is neither experience nor education: it's cost.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

It gives them an identity besides IUPUI: The Palindrome School

3. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Actually, it does show far IUPUI's j-school has come after Bloomington so long treated it as its bastard child. When I started -- not long after the j-school started -- the head of the High School Journalism Institute had to fight on my behalf because the $300 scholarship was only supposed to be good at IU-Bloomington. Of course, getting the sports journalism institute set up at Indianapolis instead of Bloomington was a little bitch-slap in Bloomington's direction as well, although now that both programs have long carved out their own niches, Bloomington has worried less about Indianapolis surpassing it.

4. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

Considering the dean of the Bloomington j-school also runs the Indy j-school, I don't understand this statement. Hamm is behind the whole sports journalism institute and degree program.

5. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

It is misleading to say "Indiana affiliate." The sports journalism program with headquarters in Indianapolis is fully part of the IU j-school. My friend Billy Reed is an adjunct in the program and teaches on both campuses. Teleconferences also connect the campuses.

6. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

[​IMG]

Agrees with you. But will straight up murder your ass if you call him old again.

7. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

"The Master of Arts Degree in Sports Journalism would be a 30-credit hour program housed at the Indiana University School of Journalism at IUPUI."

Bloomington is the main campus. IUPUI is not. The SJC is in Indianapolis. The release says the master's will be offered at IUPUI. The two campuses are about an hour apart. They may share classes, but this particular program is headquartered at IUPUI.

In any event, it will be interesting to see if establishing such a program will lead to worthwhile research about the future of sports journalism. From the scuttlebutt regarding the financial commitment being made to the SJC, there should be plenty of room in its mission for studies above and beyond how to gather a story and seminars on Diversity in the Newsroom.

It is still getting on its feet at this point, and I hope the issues surrounding just how today's students get jobs tomorrow will not be left to someone else. Because it seems a lot of J-schools are content to do exactly that.

Draft saved Draft deleted