1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

InDesign-- resizing photo

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by wickedwritah, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

come on doc, is busting balls a one-way street with you?

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Didn't realize that's what was going on. Apologies, Tomas.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

First, there ought to be a little lock or a couple of links of chain in the toolbar next to where you enter the values.

Clicking this on and off will either enable or disable your ability to alter the edges independently.

Second, it's called the direct selection tool, if anyone cares, and differs from the selection tool in that it works on the content inside a frame, instead of the frame itself, like the selection tool does (I'm practicing using the real names since I have to start teaching this again next week).

Third, my rule of thumb has always been that the two sides need to be within 3 percentage points of one another. I understand, Doc, that it's not ideal, and would prefer to never have to do it (and I teach my kids not to), but I also understand the occasional reality of deadline work, and it's a millisecond fix on a busy night.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Your kids, eh? Seeing as you're a relative yungun and you calling the youngsters kids ...

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and right back at ya, dog. sorry if there was a misunderstanding.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

My only-a-few-years-younger-than-me students, then. :)

7. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

My fav. button is on the tool bar when handling pictures bigger than the frame. It sizes the photo perfectly to the box you drew. Oh, how I miss that little button and the time it saved me.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Where is this located, Roy?

9. Precious Roy

Precious Roy Active Member

Not the tool bar, sorry, it's in the measurements bar. There are four buttons, one is to fit the picture proportionately, one is to fit the frame to the pic, and I don't remember what the other two do. They are in the upper right part of the bar. Hope that helps, it would be better if I were still at a station that had InDesign, but I've cried that river long enough. :)

10. Giggity

Giggity Member

Why not just bump the whole thing up to 101, or 103, or whatever, instead of only doing it on one axis?

11. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I wouldn't do that to a photo, but I've run disproportionate logos in the past.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

honest question: why would you mention the logo thing?

Draft saved Draft deleted