1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

InDesign on PC or Mac?

Discussion in 'Design Discussion' started by nmmetsfan, Aug 20, 2012.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Forgive me if there's a thread that already covers it, but does anyone have experience changing from a Mac to PC as it relates to InDesign? Is it pretty straight forward or are there a bunch of differences?

Our shop is looking at buying some new machines and we're trying to decide if the extra $500 it costs for each Mac is going to be worth it. We currently use Macs.

Our staff is pretty well versed on short cuts, etc., and I'd hate to have to do a bunch of training, which would defeat the purpose of trying to save the money in the first place.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I've used InDesign and Quark on both, and I prefer both on Mac. They seems less streamlined on PC. The shortcuts change, but I don't remember anything too specific because it's been a while since I used it on a PC.

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Macs really are worth the money — but especially if you're doing anything more sophisticated than browsing the web and checking e-mail.

For anyone doing graphic design or newspaper design, Macs are a must. It's not even a question of personal preference (because I've bought PCs for my personal use, and have no problem with them); Macs just work better in the professional world.

4. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

I have done design work on both platforms with InDesign, and prefer the PC because it's cheaper. No difference in ease of use or output in my experience.

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

This time last year, I would've said get the PC, but after they put a new Mac on my desk at work (to replace a gray box G4), and I purchased an iPad, I am now a Mac snob. A staff writer that does no design (if those still exist) could get by with a PC, but the designers need the Mac.

6. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I don't think it's worth the money. I use Indesign all day every day, photoshop and illustrator quite a bit, too.

As long as the PC is powerful enough to handle the programs, there's not a significant benefit to a mac over a pc for what I do.

The change from mac to PC shouldn't require training. It's been a while since I've used InDesign on a mac, but I believe the shortcut keys are all basically the same.

Draft saved Draft deleted