1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Independents, please speak up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ADifferentOkie, Feb 9, 2008.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

2mcm and I have been banging the drums for a political board since before the 2006 elections.

No interest on the mod side.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

How would you feel about something like Roosevelt's WPA being implemented today?

I don't understand why the federal government wouldn't consider something like this again instead of a so-called "welfare state" -- it creates jobs for poor people, puts money in their pockets, and it's productive for their communities.

3. Rex Harrison

Rex Harrison Member

[​IMG]

Fuck 'em all. I'm tired of my only choices coming down to who can raise the biggest shitload of money and con the most people into thinking things will get any better.

This country is seriously fucked, and the political system as we know it needs to collapse under its own corrupt weight.

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I'm a liberal because I believe that if this country never had liberals, we'd still be eating rotten food, working 80 hours a week for 10 cents an hour, and having our bosses have the right to whack us with a stick if we talked to the person next to us.

I liked Edwards because he was actually talking about the struggles of the middle class. But I believe he got caught in the five-second attention span media game ($400 haircut!). Now, I'm hoping Obama wins. It just seems like he wants a more unified country. Hillary to me, is just a professional politician, no better, no worse than a bunch of the hacks in Washington. She gets more attention for being the wife of an ex-president and she generates more hatred from the right wingers because she doesn't fit their ideal of what a woman should be (i.e., Laura Bush).

I don't want to vote for McCain because quite simply, I don't agree with his stand on most issues. I give him credit for McCain-Feingold, frankly, I wish campaign finance reform would be more stricter than that. But I just don't want to reward the Republican party with another four-years in the White House especially after their current standard-bearer has done nothing for me in the last eight years, except blow my tax money on a war that he said was finished a month after it started.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

We have something similar to this already.

It's called Halliburton.

6. DougDascenzo

DougDascenzo Member

Registered independent, and I don't ever see myself aligning with a party. I voted Bush in 2000 (he's since broke each and every promise that made his candidacy attractive to me) and Kerry in 2004 (the lesser of two evils).

The GOP has lost all of its credibility with me for its warmongering, trampling on human rights (gay marriage, torture, USA PATRIOT Act etc.) lack of fiscal conviction and alliance with a specific religious group. The fact that we're arguing about whether or not we should waterboard people makes me want to spit.

The Dems, to me, are GOP-lite, and their constant bowing to the Republicans' will the past eight years sickens me equally, if not more.

The two-party system is set up to get people like me so fed up, we become disheartened by the process and go about our daily business while the swine feed upon the corporate slop and carry out atrocities in our name.

I can't justify voting for any of these candidates. Obama is probably the only one on my radar, simply because his lack of experience (aka partisan whoredom) might mean he'll bring something different.

BTW, I'm very angry.

Draft saved Draft deleted