1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Independence (KS) Reporter sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Diabeetus, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

http://www.kspress.com/web/isite.dll?1010350452886

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

The original Little House on the Prairie is southwest of town, off U.S. 75. I made sure to stop by on the way to an assignment once. And I've eaten at the McDonald's in town a time or two.

Otherwise, I have nothing to add here. Haven't heard much about the paper, good or bad.

3. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Newspapers are SO picky nowadays!

4. apeman33

apeman33 Well-Known Member

The Reporter's a 6-day daily, M-F afternoons, Sunday mornings. No web site, though, and I'm not sure how well the owner (very old school, from my understanding) has embraced technology. The SE's a good guy to work for. This is best, perhaps, for a beginner or someone who wants to start the transition from a weekly. The No. 2 will be covering Coffeyville's schools primarily as the Indy paper likes to hit Coffeyville pretty good (Coffeyville doesn't have the resouces to hit Indy back). It's not part of any chain.

Independence is about 40 minutes from Bartlesville and 90 minutes from Tulsa. Home of the annual Neewollah Frestival which is held overy October (guess what weekend) ;D

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

This could be a really good thing, actually. Someone with enough smarts not to give their stuff away for free.

6. I think this below is important to note:

``The first monkey in space, Miss Abel, was born at Ralph Mitchell Zoo in Independence.''

Casual Internet search says the town's population is in the 10K range.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Don't know how much they cover the two JUCOS, but Coffeyville sometimes has some very good teams.

8. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Message me with questions about this gig. It's not bad, not great. Not much to do, but you'll get plenty of clips and get to cover some of the top athletes in the juco ranks.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Independence juco has some good basketball and from what I know about the coaches, good people especially women's coach Tony Turner. Football has been bad but improving.

Don't know much about the HS except for these two things - football has been one of the worst program's in the state, and the boys soccer team won a state championship last year. That's right, little ol' Independence, Kan. produced a state championship high school soccer team.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I believe Independence is the hometown of the great Scott Hastings.

11. TheCapital

TheCapital New Member

Forgot to mention that the SE is a great guy, easy to work for and gives you a lot of freedom if you put the time in.

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Is Brian Thomas still the SE?

Draft saved Draft deleted