1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Independence High's 109-game win streak over

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Sep 2, 2007.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Snapped in that silly Ohio vs. the USA thing.

http://www.charlotte.com/preps/story/260050.html

2. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Ballsy statement on a 34-32 kind of night.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't care that he had to be in Blacksburg in the morning and Berkley in the evening. He should have been at his own "Challenge."

4. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

De La Salle's streak (151 games) was ended by Bellevue, Wash.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Southlake Carroll is at 48 and counting. The Texas state record is 68.

6. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Southlake goes down next week against Northwestern.

7. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

Just watched video of the final play of Elder-Independence.
    To reset, Elder got the ball first in overtime and scored so Independence needed a TD + XP to keep it going.
    Independence QB throws an INT. The Elder player catches it and runs about 10 yards (untouched) then throws ball over his shoulder and his teammates storm the field.

I could be wrong (and don't hesitate to tell me if I am) but doesn't there have to be a conclusion (fall to the ground, get tackled, run it back or out of bounds, etc.) to the play even if it is a clinching turnover in OT?

BTW, the video I speak of is on the MaxPreps home page.

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Charlotte coach sounded like a douche in his comments "I told you so,": etc to his kids" - why not take the opportunity to congratulate his team and their outstanding accomplishment instead of rubbing his own players face in it?

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

Didn't Chris Leak go to Independence?

10. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

Independence has been propped up ever since the Leaks left. Charlotte school system had the misfortune of being dragged over the coals for racial busing, responded by saying "Fine, go wherever you want." Thus, every football player in Mecklenburg schools goes to Independence. The real miracle is how Butler has gotten good over the past couple of years.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

I'm with junkie, deskslave. ... Why is this event silly?

Yes, it puts good high schools on national television, playing against the nation's other top teams. How awful for the kids involved.

You're right, let Independence, Cardinal Mooney (Defend Youngstown!), etc. etc. play against and beat 75-0 teams from their own regions.

Makes a lot of sense to me.

12. sabrefan

sabrefan Member

thanks for the clarification.

Draft saved Draft deleted