1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indefensible.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Oct 5, 2007.

1. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

If more than half of the Republicans in the Senate seem to think it's ok, and Orrin Hatch, not exactly kin with Ted Kennedy, blasts Bush for being misinformed and off his fucking rocker for vetoing the bill, chances are this dipshit president just fucked up again. But what does he care? If the poor just didn't get sick the world would be a better place.

2. Yes, another gentleman who thinks 50K Americans, hundreds of thousands of Asians, more bombs than were dropped on WWII, wasn't enough.
    And, while I have no brief for a lot of what LBJ did. This speech alone, and the laws that followed from it...

http://www.historyplace.com/speeches/johnson.htm

..puts him on several dozen levels higher than the one on which the incumbent currently squats, playing with his toes.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Because Bush has been a model leader of smaller government and tight spending.

He spends like a drunken sailor. He just doesn't want to spend money on health care for poor children.

Those are the facts, and they are not in question. Please at least adjust your talking points.

4. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

So if half the GOP thinks it's OK, they'll override the veto, right?

5. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The Senate has enough votes to override the veto. The House is where it gets tricky. But I guess they didn't lose enough seats last year, at least in their minds.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Senate should have 69 votes to override, as Biden and Obama both missed the original vote which went 67-29.

The House is a mess, but I hope any fricking Congressman who votes against gets multiple TV ads about that vote run in his or her district when they run for reelection.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

He doesn't give a rat's ass. He's invulnerable, other than to impeachment, for which the current congress doesn't have the nerve. Can't be touched. So he's on a free roll.

Makes you feel confident about quality of life, doesn't it?

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Bush/GOP: War, good; affordable health care for little children so mommys and daddys don't go bankrupt, bad.

9. Dangerous_K

Dangerous_K Active Member

Wow, 3-for-3. Looks like LBJ and W have quite a bit in common. Of course, I don't think LBJ ever uttered the phrase BRING 'EM ON in reference to the VC guerrillas.

10. pallister

pallister Guest

Too bad the rest of you couldn't be like HB and have words fail you.

BTW, given that being re-elected is more important than any bill or issue, I'm guessing the inevitable "Republicans hate children and want them to die" ads will lead to an eventual override of the veto.

11. Yes, because opposition to this veto must needs be unprincipled.
    Yeesh.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

OK, I'm listening. Defend the veto.

Draft saved Draft deleted