1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incredibly depressing Wayne Chrebet piece

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BYH, Sep 20, 2007.

1. doubledown68

doubledown68 Active Member

All I know is this: I get an enourmous fucking high just by making an above average play in a rec-league softball game and collecting high-fives and atta-boy's afterwards.

To have tens of thousands explode in a joyous thunder because of my feat of athletic prowess? Shit. Who wouldn't be instantly addicted to that?

2. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If there's any justice, Gene Upshaw will be fired by the NFLPA for fucking over generations of retired NFL players.

3. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Second that.

4. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

As someone here said not too long ago, the NFL is like professional wrestling, with better P.R.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

So are you suggesting that football should be outlawed?

6. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Third, the retired players are consistently getting screwed and his head should be cut for this.

7. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't think Upshaw should die, I just wonder why the current crop of players don't care.
    If they wanted him gone, he'd be gone.
    Is today National Write about Concussion Day? I've seen this and four or five other pieces today about football and concussions.

8. IU90

IU90 Member

The guys that have this problem are usually the ones who were the toughest with the biggest hearts. The same willingness to give up their bodies that made fans love em also destroys em.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Don't topple the gravy train.

10. Terence Mann

Terence Mann Member

Most people need more than 18 words to be equal parts offensive, insensitive, dismissive, flip and, at best, borderline sexist and stereotyping about such a sad and painfully human story. Congratulations on your economy of words.

11. cougargirl

cougargirl Active Member

Wow, what a powerful piece. Technically, it's the mark of quality writing - straightforward, to the point, uses enough description to paint the picture and it gets the message across.

But emotionally, that one packs a wallop. Between people asking him for his autograph, him talking about playing with his kids but being miserable and the final quote, I was almost in tears.

12. bigbadeagle

bigbadeagle Member

Reading the NFL's out-of-hand dismissal of the study on concussions makes me wonder if they can't be held criminally negligent at some point by some player who is/will suffer from post-concussion issues.
    The Mafia's got nothing on the NFL as a criminal enterprise.

Draft saved Draft deleted