1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incredible story about Bobby Orr

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HorseWhipped, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Agree on all counts.

The strip-joint line reminded me of my old man, who was a flight instructor in the Air Force near the end of WWII and, one day in the attic, showed me the inflatable life vest that the crew wore when flying over water. He and all his buddies referred to this as "the Mae West" because, when inflated, well, y'know...

No great statement on Ms. West's "impact" on the non-Hollywood culture or anything. Just an interesting, throwaway sign o' the times. Added color and context to my old man's tales in the same way, I think, Price's line added color and context.

2. No, no, no, no, no, no. no.

No.

3. Sam Craig

Sam Craig Member

Just finished reading it. It was a great story — great reporting and great writing.

4. Boomer7

Boomer7 Active Member

He hasn't played in Boston for nearly 35 years. You know all about Orr's influence because you're a Canadian hockey aficionado. For the readership of an American sports weekly in 2009, none of this is exactly common knowledge.

5. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Back when he pitched for the Blue Jays, Chris Carpenter, who is from New Hampshire, came to one of our games. I'm a huge Jays' fan and we chatted in the press box during warmup. He said he loved hockey and played a lot when he was a kid but gave it up when he knew he couldn't be Bobby Orr. He said, "What New England kid didn't want to be him?"

6. I think it was called "Nifty." The tune itself is a riff on the March of the Nutcracker by Peter Tchaikovsky.

Draft saved Draft deleted