1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incredible Jeopardy champion

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by GBNF, May 28, 2008.

1. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I dig her. She plays well, and unless she's behind in need of a double, won't do the douchy move and hunting around categories for it. But the smile is pretty odd, she'll be smiling then suddenly stop smiling. It's not like she's got terrible teeth. But yeah, she's a pretty solid player.

2. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

She lost, with her balls-to-the-wall approach. Brainfarted on a double Jeopardy question after wagering $8,000, when she only trailed the leader by about 3K. Also, as it related to our earlier talk of her creepyness, I laughed at her early-game interview. Alex pointed out that she participated in mock trails in high school. She replied that she often played the defendant, or as she said "murderers." Better sleep with one eye open tonight, Alex!

(Oh, and for those counting, her interview afforded her 16 seconds of talk time on camera. I counted 19 blinks.)

3. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No, she didn't play well. She played with the MO of a kamikaze pilot.

There's barely any upside to betting the farm on that Daily Double in that position unless it's an absolute slam-dunk category. And I'm guessing unless your college major was Dutch History, that wasn't a slam-dunk category.

She's good; you don't win nearly a quarter-million on that game in this day and age unless you are good. And it's hard for me to argue the results. But any of the three guys I named above (Brad Rutter, Ken Jennings or Christian Haines) would take her and her Kathy Bates-in-Misery persona apart.

And yeah, I'd like my chances as well.

How unimpressed am I? I'll bet any one of you on this board $100 she doesn't win the Tournament of Champions.

Yeah, I'm that unimpressed.

4. Birdscribe, you have answered my primary question about Jeopardy! My mother is a game-show nut and we'd always have to watch Wheel and then Jeopardy! during dinner. My dad always insisted that the Jeopardy! producers provide a list of categories before the contest---which allows you to study certain areas beforehand. He simply couldn't believe that any person could know so much about so many different topics. I'm going to show this thread to him as proof that this doesn't actually happen. Could you deny this claim?

5. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Gemco, I can categorically deny the claim they give you any categories. Have you, your dad or whoever else disputes this PM me.

Think about it for a second. After the quiz show scandals of the 50s (see Van Doren, Charles and Question, The $64,000), these shows have to be purer than Caesar's Wife. They'd get in so much trouble if there was even the rumor of impropriety like giving categories.

Trust me, you're on your own there.

What they do on Jeopardy is have you meet 2 1/2 hours before in the Green Room, where the senior contestant coordinator -- an awesome ball of fire named Maggie Speak -- and her assistants go over the rules and the format, answer any questions and have you sign more paperwork.

The 12 contestants are so sequestered from everyone else that you're not even allowed to acknowledge any of your friends or relations in the audience. The first time I went down for a taping (I was an alternate), my son and four co-workers were in the audience.

They cheered and yelled my name when I came out with the other contestants -- earning a scolding from a cranky, ill-tempered page who threatened to DQ me if they kept it up.

So yeah, one person CAN know that much stuff.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Worst part about that was that it was the last one on the board before the finale, where she bet no money and got it right. But then, after winning 200,000-some dollars, so be it.

7. GBNF

GBNF Well-Known Member

I don't believe I ever said she was better than Ken Jennings or Haines or Rutter. I said she was incredible. That's it. Incredible.
    If I was on SJ when Jennings was doing his thing, I'd have created the same thread. Same with the other two guys. No need to make it a pissing contest.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Jeopardy side wagering. That's even better than the smack.

I enjoyed watching this gal. This is going to sound sexist as heck, though I think I've watched enough Jeopardy to make a generalization, but the women never seem to bet much on daily doubles compared to men. So the first couple times Larissa laid down the hammer and got them right, I was hooked.

9. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

But she could beat her in Jeopardy:

10. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

No pissing contest from this end, GB. Not picking a fight for the sake of picking a fight, something anyone on this board can tell you isn't my style.

I just wasn't that impressed by her tactics or overall presence and was saying so from the point of view of someone who's been there.

We'll agree to disagree.

11. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Her presence was downright weird, I'll agree with that. I can dig someone being calm and collected while winning a pile of cash, but I couldn't figure out her deal. Maybe when the cameras went off she went bananas, who knows.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

She's no Chuck Forrest, Bob Verini or Frank Spangenburg. But she might be the strongest chick I've seen play the game.

Draft saved Draft deleted