1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Increasing your Twitter following

Discussion in 'Online Journalism' started by BrianGriffin, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

And use photos when you can, because they occupy more real estate in feeds.

As always, be sure to be constantly engaging with your followers. During Jim McElwain's exodus from CSU to Florida, I gained about 1,500 followers in six hours (and have since lost about 700 of them because UF fans don't care too much about CSU news anymore). A big part of that was working hard to remain on top of the story and using sources to move it forward, but a lot of it was just replying with useful information, even if you've answered the same question 50 times in an hour. Your followers will be appreciative.

Engage, use photos and try to have some fun.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Glad you enjoy social networking. I'm more prone to writing an extra notebook on the NFL. Rather inform reader with a story instead of a tweet, but that's my preference.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What does it say about the business that there have been two posts on the Online Journalism board this month, and the one before that was in April?

4. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

They're not mutually exclusive. You should be marketing the content you produce, and twitter is a perfectly fine way to do that.

5. Sports Guy

Sports Guy Member

Thanks. I do use twitter to promote my stories.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Last year I started a site that covers a reality show. I live tweet the show and, when I'm up for it, will do it for both East Coast and West Coast viewing. There is a good bulk of my audience on the west coast, but with a second kid in the house now, staying up that late to be up that early is not especially good for my sanity.
    Is there a way I can schedule tweets - say, whatever I post at 8 pm will post again 3 hours later?

7. MNgremlin

MNgremlin Active Member

Tweetdeck

8. Rhody31

What is that? An app? Or just a site?

9. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

Both. You can use it in browser or download for desktop/mobile. We just switched over to HootSuite to better manage all social platforms, not just Twitter.

Rhoddy, I have to ask, what show?

10. lantaur

lantaur Well-Known Member

Tweetdeck is no longer available on mobile platforms IIRC.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I interact a lot with followers. They seem to appreciate it but I'm not sure how much it really grows my following.

One thing I would suggest is a policy I created for myself a few months ago: I will happily respond to all reasonable questions but I will rarely respond to comments or observations. It just opens up too much pointless debating. At least among my followers.

Also, make use of the "mute" feature. It's much better than blocking annoying people because they don't know they are muted. They still see your tweets but you don't see theirs or their comments to you.

I also find it useful for other writers who I like personally but whose beats I don't care about. I like for my friends to think I'm following them without them cluttering my feed.

12. Rhody31

I've been trying to schedule tweets using TweetDeck, but can't seem to figure it out. My issue is I need to tweet something at 8:05 pm and need to tweet it again at 11:05 p.m. How can I do this without sending the tweet, then copying and pasting it to a scheduled tweet? Is there a way?

Draft saved Draft deleted