1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Increasing Marijuana Use in High School Is Reported

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

YF, have you ever gotten stoned?

YF, have you ever gotten wasted on alcohol?

If you answer no to either of the above, you should probably listen to the people who can answer yes to both.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Personal anecdotes are more valuable than data tracking the experiences of thousands or tens of thousands of people?

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people who like the taste of certain liquors -- a high-end rum with coke, a really good whisky or brandy or scotch.

Do you know anyone who smokes marijuana for the taste? No? Then why do you think a teen drinking "for the drunk" is bad but a teen smoking marijuana for the high isn't?

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

I'd be a lot more concerned about teens and energy drinks rather than teens and coffee.

5. printit

printit Member

I'm glad that some states are legalizing/decriminalizing marijuana. This is how federalism is supposed to work. If the feds stay out of the way in ten years we can look at the states that legalized, the states that more or less legalized, and the states that kept arresting for marijuana and see the outcomes of each.

6. Dick Whitman

For sure. I mean, look at how federalism has helped settle definitively the question of whether the death penalty is a deterrent for murder or not.

I hear ya, but drugs are one of those issues in which everyone brings their preconceived biases to the debate table, no matter what.

7. printit

printit Member

No serious person who studies the death penalty argues against deterrence. Every serious study ever done by anyone shows that it is. These studies were made possible by states having a death penalty.
    The anti-death penalty people (of which I am nominally one, fwiw) argue that innocent people are convicted and, with the death penalty, executed.

Perhaps I am being naïve, but I think marijuana is something that people will be able to actually look at evidence, as opposed to cling to beliefs.

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Read the big Sam Hurd story. The taste makes the weed. That's why the really good shit costs more and why there's a killing war about it.

9. Dick Whitman

Jeff Toobin wrote just this week that the evidence is, at best, inconclusive. Other serious people cite the "brutalization effect." Or the fact that in the last decade, as executions have become more infrequent, the murder rate has continued to drop.

The point: I think that we'll be able to cull some useful information from states-as-marijuana laboratories. But my hopes for conclusive results are fairly low, because, as is always the case when it comes to social science, the multitude of other factors are so difficult to tease out.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

So, lung cancer... good. Hangover... bad.

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, what happened to the comprehension skills around here?

I never once suggested that "a teen smoking marijuana" is not "bad." Instead, my point was merely that, in a comparison of competing evils, alcohol abuse is the more harmful of the two. In other words, both bad, but one worse. Got it?

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think YankeeFan is really missing Bodie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.