1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Increasing Marijuana Use in High School Is Reported

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I would supervise a marijuana session every day some day for my teen-age children if, in exchange, they agreed to not carry smart phones.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Marijuana is also associated with high risk driving:

And high risk sex:

And, let's not forget:

As if teens needed any encouragement to act impulsively, or make bad decisions.

3. YankeeFan

Because politicians are addicted to tobacco tax revenue, and also because they pander to the voters in tobacco states.

4. Dick Whitman

5. YankeeFan

Is someone arguing with this?

Not me. More than one cup of coffee for a teen is not something I would advise. I wouldn't necessarily recommend any caffeine for a teen.

6. Dick Whitman

Why would you drink coffee any way when there's Adderall to be had?

7. YankeeFan

Sure. Alcohol has broader usage (and acceptance).

And, so there are a greater volume of instances where alcohol plays a part in high risk driving or sex. That doesn't make it any safer. And, that's what we were talking about.

I thought folks like Stoney would see that.

8. Dick Whitman

I want you to remember this conversation, and how people might misperceive something en masse, the next time you push us, or anybody, to assume that people make rational decisions in a marketplace.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Also from the same article that gave YF reefer madness:

The report looked at a wide variety of drugs and substances. It found, for example, that drinking was steadily declining, with roughly 40 percent of high school seniors reporting having used alcohol in the past month, down from a peak of 53 percent in 1997. Abuse of the prescription painkiller Vicodin is half what it was a decade ago among seniors; cocaine and heroin use are at historic lows in almost every grade.

Cigarette smoking has also fallen precipitously in recent years. For the first time since the survey began, the percentage of students who smoked a cigarette in the past month dropped below 10 percent. Roughly 8.5 percent of seniors smoke cigarettes on a daily basis, compared with 6.5 percent who smoke marijuana daily, a slight increase from 2010.

The overall story, it appears, is that students aren't getting as stoned as they used to. Is it because of health concerns? Better knowledge of drugs? More difficulty in access? The student population growing poorer over the last 15 years, so they just can't afford to buy the stuff?

I understand the concern that teenagers perceiving marijuana as less dangerous might result in a growing use. I suspect the reason they're see it as less of a big deal is less about legalization and more about other drugs getting the spotlight under What Will Kill You.

10. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I'm sure the fact that every two-bit rapper, rocker, actor etc. you read about is totally consumed with weed has no bearing on this.

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.