1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Increasing Marijuana Use in High School Is Reported

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If we're using 7-8 beers as the baseline, why would we use one joint?

And, certainly binge drinking is an issue, but almost by definition, binge drinkers are rarely daily drinkers, especially high school & college aged drinkers. They tend to celebrate the weekend by getting drunk.

Marijuana users are more likely to be daily users. And, the amount they smoke is dictated by the amount they have.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It will steel your woman and then rob your head

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Because you drink 7-8 beers to get drunk, just like you smoke one joint to get high. You drink one glass of wine because it's food.

4. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This question is utterly irrelevant to this issue in the real world.

When real world American high schoolers drink, they don't just "have a glass of wine with dinner", instead they drink in pursuit of intoxication. They do it to get drunk, and if not for the drunk, then they'd have no interest in doing it. Anyone who doesn't understand that must've spent their high school and college aged years in a cave.

5. YankeeFan

So, you'd let your son drink a glass of wine, but not smoke a joint, right?

That tells us which one you think is more dangerous.

You said it was "a good thing" if teens "replaced" alcohol with marijuana. But, now you want to pretend that teens who would drink alcohol to excess, would use marijuana in moderation?

That's absurd.

And, I'm fine with the idea that teens drink to get drunk. But, "drunk" is harder to hide from parents and teachers. Teens who drink, get drunk on the weekends, when their parents aren't around.

And, you only get drunk once a day.

Marijuana smokes get high daily. And they often do it multiple times a day.

6. Dick Whitman

No, I think he's saying that he'd prefer they smoke marijuana to excess rather than drink alcohol to excess, given the choice.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Jesus Christ, YF, what a pile of dishonest strawman reasoning that last response is.

I never said any goddamn such thing. And it "tells us" no such thing. Instead the question simply has no real relevance because it's an invalid comparison of an intoxicating quantity of one substance vs. a non-intoxicating quantity of another. Apples to oranges.

What bullshit. I'm not "pretending" a damn thing. I don't think teens are inclined to use either substance in "moderation",instead you were the one who introduced the preposterous "glass of wine" notion suggesting that one would merely be used by teens in moderation.

I've no illusions. Doesn't matter if it's alcohol or weed, if high schoolers are using it, it's for the same basic purpose of getting their buzz on. And, if they must do that with one or the other, it's safer for both them and society if it's via weed instead of booze.

Bullshit. There are plenty of marijuana smokers who only do it occasionally. There are plenty of boozehounds who drink every day. There are no hard and fast rules for that sort of thing (although it IS scientifically established that alcohol is far more physiologically addictive and harder for one who's become dependent to quit), these statements are just speculative self-serving BS.

8. YankeeFan

Then he should back that up.

Marijuana is "safer" in some people's minds because you can't kill yourself via overdose.

But, I'm not sure why anyone thinks smoking marijuana in excess is a better choice than drinking to excess -- especially for teens.

And, let's not pretend that teens are judicious in the amount of marijuana they smoke. They smoke what they have.

Smoking daily, and more, is not rare:

If you start as a teen, and develop a tolerance, you need to smoke more and more, while your brain is still developing.

That's bad.

9. Dick Whitman

Two reasons, probably. Alcohol is associated with high-risk driving. And it is associated with high-risk sex.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I am not an accomplished toker -- where is Bodie, dammit -- but do people actually smoke marijuana to excess? I thought that was one benefit versus alcohol, that a little goes a long way. So smoking a joint a day would be like that one glass of wine.

I could be way off, but that was my (very limited and possibly incorrect) understanding.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Tobacco cigarettes are bad for you too. Why don't we make tobacco illegal?

12. vicd

vicd Active Member

I'm worried about teens and coffee
    http://www.ehow.com/info_12272559_good-bad-effects-coffee-teenagers.html
    The ill effects of high caffeine consumption are well documented, ranging from difficulty sleeping to nervousness, according to KidsHealth. Teens who drink too much coffee may also find themselves feeling nervous and irritable. High caffeine consumption can cause migraine headaches to surface, as well as heart problems. Teens should make an effort to consume less than 100 milligrams of caffeine a day, or the equivalent of one cup of caffeinated coffee, to reduce the negative side effects of coffee drinking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.