1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inch counts -- good or bad?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Clever username, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

At some point, it had a Plan 9 From Outer Space quality to it. I had to see how a story that long on something so unworthy was built. When I got home, I grabbed the online version and stuck it in Word to see what it weighed in at.

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I like some reporter's train of thought -- I'll write 8 inches for print, and then 30 for the web because there's an infinite amount of space on the internet.

Yeah buddy.. because online readers frequently like to read your extraneous garble-turned-into-a-novella online.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You ain't kidding. I can already see the gleam in some crap reporter's eyes when he realizes that if he wants to do a 100-graf story on the water board meeting, nothing can stop him. And the small-time COLUMNISTS, hell's bells. Welcome to the Villarealization of sports journalism.

4. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Our writers all learned fairly quickly that unlimited space doesn't mean the unlimited mandate to use it.

Our regular columns rarely run over 800-900 words. Internet readers aren't looking for long.

The nice thing, within that context, is that I haven't had to go through and do widow trims, or painstaking editing of quotes or whatever, for years.

Draft saved Draft deleted