1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inception

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 13, 2010.

1. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

And putting the team together is an obligatory sequence in a caper movie. Here, instead of needing a forger, a safe guy, etc., they need a chemist, an architect, etc.

Am I the only mythology geek in here who likes it that her name is Ariadne?

2. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

What I don't get is ......

....SPOILER.....

If it is all a dream as some suggests, then whose dream is it? Likely answer would be Cobb, but if that's the case, how do we have scenes of people interacting without Cobb, or that has nothing to do with Cobb?

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I thought naming the girl Ariadne was a little ham-fisted, like naming the wife Mal.

4. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

And the idea for 'Memento' was originally an Archie storyline!

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Rotten Tomatoes:
    Inception: 87 percent
    Salt: 58 percent.
    Not close.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Absolutely no interest in Salt. Do we really need to see another movie about some super-agent being chased by the government for reasons they can't explain? Didn't they already make three Jason Bourne movies?

9. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Salt vs. Inception argument works only because of expectations.

Salt had little (in relation to Inception) and was surprisingly slick, well-made and entertaining.

Inception had unreachable expectations and, of course, fell short.

But Inception, in my opinion, is the better movie. And it is the better-reviewed movie.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

If you see the movie you'll know that while the trailer presents that, it's not true.

11. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

If anything, this movie proved that Ellen Page should stick to doing shitty Cisco commercials. She—nor her character—had no business being in that movie whatsoever. A more talented, much hotter actress could've done wonders for that part, like Carrie Moss did in Matrix.

12. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

Loved the movie, but have some quibbles.

The good:

-- Nolan kept the pace up to keep you from dwelling on too much, at least until the credits rolled. He also did a great job of allowing the audience to see clues instead of highlighting them.
    -- Marion Cotillard's performance. She took a fake character and gave it the depth of a real one. DiCaprio was good, too, but he was outdone by Cotillard in their scenes together and it doesn't rank with his Scorcese work.
    -- The visuals, of course. Especially Gordon-Leavitt's gravity-shifting fight for the pistol. I gleefully giggled watching that.
    -- An interesting premise that wasn't ruined by a lengthy explanation of origin.

The bad:
    -- Too much gunplay, especially in the snow scene, the movie's only weak portion.
    -- Flat characters except for the main couple. J G-L, Ken Watanabe, Michael Caine and Cillian Murphy could have done better with more.
    -- Ellen Paige. Maybe she was supposed to be the breakout star (a la Ledger in "The Dark Knight") but she was just Juno in a thriller.

Draft saved Draft deleted