1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inception

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Of course there are a million other people posting 5,000 word explanations about why it wasn't all a dream.

Weirdly, since seeing it, I've had three straight nights of lucid dreaming, knowing I'm dreaming while in the dream. I've always had that but usually not several nights in a row. It comes in handy when, like last night, I can tell myself to wake up out of a nightmare. Now I'm wondering, maybe this - what I'm typing - is my dream life and the dream is the reality.

2. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

What's your totem? ;)

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

He gave Angelina Jolie's lips four stars. Who knows what he thinks about the movie.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

At 4*, that's a severe undergrade.

5. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I liked it a lot. My favorite is still Shutter Island, but this was very close.

The one thing that I didn't love, and this could've been the theater, was that the music was so much louder than the dialogue, I think I missed some important parts of the movie.

6. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

As kokane points out, this simply isn't true. That's not to say Salt isn't the better film (I haven't seen it, so I really couldn't say), but the reviews absolutely are not better than for Inception.

kokane mentioned RT. There's also metacritic, which has Inception at 74 and Salt at 64. Both solid, but Inception pretty clearly better. And just to add one more, there's IMDB, where the readers have rated Inception a 9.3 and Salt a 6.6.

7. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Not to pile on, but ... AV Club gave Salt a B and Inception an A-. ;)

And Mizzou mentioned Ebert gave it 4 stars, well he gave Inception 4 stars, too.

But again, I'm not piling on..... ;) ;) ;)

8. Shifty Squid

Shifty Squid Member

As long as you're not piling on, kokane, I'm sure we'll all let it slide.

I, on the other hand, was, in fact, piling on. You're clearly a better person than I.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I enjoyed it, but I'm not gushing about it.
    the shot making was tremendous, but there's more to making a great movie than great shot making.
    I still hate that 'Dallas' plot trick. Same problem I had with 'Shutter Island,' which was also full of great shots.
    The exposition was clunky.

10. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

Had the same problem in my theater. Music/action sequences were so loud you lost some of the dialogue. Gonna need to see it again, without a doubt.

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

I enjoyed it and would/will go back, but there is too much action, and it hurts the movie.

It's nice to see the work of a director who is not afraid of creating even the slightest exercise in intellectual complexity, but Nolan seems to be having a guilt trip from the start. I'm making them work way too hard here. So he cripples his movie with mindless -- there is no other word for it -- action.

As somebody said above, the alpine scene was a waste of everybody's time.

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

I doubt Nolan intended for the final scene to make everyone laugh, as happened at the theater I went to.

Draft saved Draft deleted