1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Paper Guy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

The Gwinnett Daily Post decided to send Jeff Francoeur off with a parting gift...does anyone else think it's inappropriate or am I off base?

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/main.asp?SectionID=7&SubSectionID=7&ArticleID=62060

2. PaperDoll

PaperDoll Well-Known Member

I like the big typo in the graphic. Unless the paper moved to Lawrencweville? Oh, wait, that's a different thread...

3. Colton

Colton Active Member

PG: I don't have a problem with this, only because all the paper is doing is providing the vehicle for it to get done.

In this day and age, any kind of good news -- or good will -- should be trumpeted.

Then again, I could be full of spit :)

4. chilidog75

chilidog75 Member

It's an odd thing to do for sure. Never heard of another paper doing anything like this.
    But the dude was a huge, huge, HUGE star in high school and the GDP considers itself - rightly - the hometown paper of Gwinnett County. Thereby, the hometown paper of Jeff Francoeur, who is still beloved in that part of the state.
    It's a nice goodwill gesture.
    I'd be interested to know how many people actually stopped by to sign it. And how they present it to him.

5. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

What the fuck is a "Gwinnettian?"

6. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If this is wrong, so are all the homer stories of when a team wins a title. No more signs promoting the team and the paper either.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Nothing the matter with this. On the contrary, it's a wonderful example of how a newspaper can serve as the voice of a community in a positive way.

8. HorseWhipped

HorseWhipped Guest

Love the typo.

9. lmcmillan33

lmcmillan33 Member

It's sort of like when papers put out for championship papers/fliers for local high school teams. It's providing an avenue for the community to express their support. It also it is promotional for the paper.

10. It's pronounced "Gwin-EE-shun," by the way.

AF
    Proud former Gwinnettian

11. Paper Guy

Paper Guy Member

Hmm, maybe it's just me then. My paper covers nothing but prep sports and I just imagine doing this for any of them...seems like it would be incredibly awkward.

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

I figured it'd be some sort of "Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out" sort of thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted