1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate Work Conversations

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by rmanfredi, Feb 10, 2012.

1. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Overheard my boss talking to his insurance agent yesterday about the DUI he had received the night before. And by "overheard," I mean "couldn't possibly avoid hearing it since my cubicle is 10 feet from his office and he left the door open." Apparently, a car pulled out of a driveway while he was on the road and he couldn't miss it. This also happened at around 6 p.m., from what I gather, at a location near our office. The fact that I was at work until 5:20 p.m. that day and my boss was still there when I left is disturbing, to say the least.

He didn't say anything to me about the DUI - I'm thinking that this was his passive-aggressive way to make sure I knew what had happened without him having to directly have a conversation with me. Why I would need to know in the first place, I have no idea.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who has managed to overhear something they didn't need to/want to at work or get in a conversation that was wholly inappropriate for work.

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I don't understand what the issue is. Sometimes real life has to be dealt with during work hours. And nothing was directed at you

3. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I was hoping for something more Penthouse Forumish when I clicked on this thread.

4. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Way to be a newsy neighbor.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

The fact I wasn't the subject of this thread is really the upset of the century.

6. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I have no problem with him dealing with this on work time. Just don't do it with the door open to your office when there are people - your direct reports - 10 feet away from you. Shut your door, or go outside to have the call.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Shouldn't you be starting the who's going to be the new boss office pool rather than posting here?

And if your time sequence is correct, I can only assume he was drinking at work or chugs down beers and shots the minute he leaves the office.

8. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

Either that, or he stopped at the local bar and had a couple of quick shots before heading home. The weird part is that in the year I've been here, I've found him to be a very straight-laced, khaki pants and flat-top haircut type of guy. I've had several other bosses in the past who would have been much better candidates for this than him.

9. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

To be fair, it was hard to hear everything, as the glass I was holding up to the wall slipped every once in a while.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How YOU doin'?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

You must think a lot of yourself if you believe that him revealing these details in such a way is irrefutable evidence of passive-aggressive behaviour.

Did you ever think that, at that moment, the presence of someone near his office was of such insignificance to him that he simply forgot that other people might be able to hear his end of the conversation?

12. rmanfredi

rmanfredi Active Member

I was being facetious about the passive-aggressive part. Again, the big issue is: shut your door or go outside if you are having a private conversation like that.

Draft saved Draft deleted