1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate tipping (?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I always tip delivery guys, and especially our handyman, who is excellent and can fix basically anything. It was a show when we moved into our current house. Delivery guys for days, which meant lots of creative tips. Some were completely happy with a six pack. Others got $20. One time, a couple of delivery guys noticed a pair of Wizards tickets on the fridge. Not great seats, but not bad seats. And I was torn on going anyway. They were all kinds of excited for those tickets.

One of my neighbors has a snow plow on his truck, and he hooked up the neighborhood the other day. He's getting $50.

But yeah, as someone said before, I've become more generous with age. Mainly because I have more money than I did when I was young.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I tipped two guys $20 each when I moved back in September. The move out of the old spot was hella hard, the move into the new one relatively easy.

3. DeskMonkey1

DeskMonkey1 Active Member

I'm just jealous of all of you who can afford to go places on a sports journalist salary

4. Who the hell on here is still in sports journalism?

JackReacher likes this.
  5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

The offer of a beer at the end of a day for your repair guy or contractor goes a long way.

6. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

I give a dollar per entree/adult order when paying for to-go with debit card, so approximately 10%. When being served, my floor is $2 even if that cheap La Fuente lunch was only $7.38.

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

My haircut runs $25, so I tack on $5. Hey, that's 20% and the whole shebang is done in fewer than 30 minutes.

8. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

Had a couple guys come out to deliver and plant a tree. I had dug a basketball hoop in the same type of ground and it took me 3 days to dig so wasn't dealing with it again.

The driver sat around and yapped while the Spanish speaking dude dug the hole 4 feet across and about 4 feet deep in 20 minutes.

Grabbed 30 bucks and gave it to the shovel guy, couldn't believe his work.

I have always tipped movers around 20 each.

Canadians are known as bad tippers, would've never occurred to me to tip a mover if my father in law hadn't put his foot in my ass for not having extra cash on hand a few moves ago.

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Did you say 'Dig this, shovel man'?

Iron_chet likes this.
  10. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

Never thought of tipping handymen/repairmen.

11. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

3 days? Were you using a plastic spoon?

Ace likes this.
  12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

JackReacher likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted