1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate tipping (?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

No tips on carryouts or buffets.

2. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I only tip to workers I know depend on tips for living. As in, their paid the minimum wage for occupations that depend on tips (like $3.75 or something?). So for me that's restaurant waiters and my barber. Don't ever deal with golf caddies or anyone else paid that rate. The carry out/fast food people make at least regular minimum wage (slightly over $8 here) and don't get tips. Similar to others' posts, I start all tipping at 20% and you work your way up or down based on that.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I usually throw a dollar or two when I am present when they are making the food (like Qdoba) but not when I call it in and picking up (like at my local Chinese). Makes no logical sense but it is what I do.

4. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

What do guys tip for a haircut?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

$3. On on $14 cut

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've been going $5 on an $18 cut, but have to admit it can vary depending on how flirty the stylist is.

7. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A haircut is $15 at my place, and I leave an extra $5 for the effort.

I don't tip for takeout.

8. 20 percent for sit-down service, including buffet (somebody's clearing the dishes)
    No tip on carryout or to go orders or line service (Starbucks, Subway, etc.)
    I tip a few bucks $2-$4 for my $10 haircut. Not a huge fan of tipping barbers, especially those that own their place and set the rates.
    $1-$5 (depending on amount and location) for porters, skycaps, valets, etc ...

When I was restaurant manager at Ryans in Danville, Va, the waitresses hated - HATED working Sundays. These large families - church groups - would come in, were talking 10-25 people ... They made a gigantic fucking mess and leave the waitress a $1.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

how about housekeepers at hotels?

I should but never do

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

In high school working the after church shift at a fast food restaurant was the worst. People were always polite, but their orders were needlessly complicated and they always just trashed the place. Did get one dad force his young son to give me an apology for throwing food across the room. I was grateful for that until they left and I wanted an apology from the dad for how they left things.

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

There should be some fastfood rules:
    1. If you're ordering food for more than three people, go inside. Don't use the drive-thru.
    B. If you don't know what you want and have the review the menu board, go inside. Don't use the drive-thru.

Draft saved Draft deleted