1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate tipping (?)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Vombatus, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

OK. A question or two for the sj.com masses. I'm wondering if I did a bad thing last night.

I picked up carry out from a Chinese restaurant.

1) Do you tip when you pick up takeout? If so, how much?

2) Do you ever put some odd number of cents on your tip so that the total comes out to an even dollar amount?

Here's the situation: sometimes I tip a buck for takeout, sometimes I don't.

But last night, I ordered at the carry out cashier, a young lady, and yes, she is probably Chinese.

I got my credit card bill and went "aha!" and rounded up the tip.

The amount was $14.31.

Did I do a bad thing? I got a funny look from her when I picked up the food fifteen minutes later.

2. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

I consider myself a decent tipper - always start at 20 percent, and only cut into that if there is a pretty blatant reason to.

1) I never tip on carryout.

2) I pay with a debit card 95 percent of the time, and I always make the tip so it comes out to an even dollar amount.

So the total was $14.31, and you rounded it up to $15.00, so the tip was 69 cents?

I'd have made it no tip. Making it a 69-cent tip could be seen as a dick (or perverted) move.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I think I'm a good tipper, but I don't tip on carry-out.

4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Cow tipping, definitely inappropriate.

cranberry likes this.
  5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10% on takeout.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I'm a good tipper, and I also don't tip on carryout.

What about Starbucks? I don't tip there, either. But I get black coffee, no frills.

7. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

I don't tip for carryout.
    I usually throw some change in the cup at coffee places
    I almost always add in whatever odd cents number I need to get to an even dollar amount

8. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Was she cute?

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

$1 always. No matter the price of the order. Why? I don't know. Just always have.

10. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

I usually do 20-percent and adjust if the service was bad or particularly awesome. I learned the cents thing from my dad and never seen anything wrong with it, except I do find it funny if the rounding is less than 20¢ thinking about the waiter who gets 11 cents with the tip.

I might tip take out a couple of bucks for the effort, but then I rarely get take out (I prefer getting it myself).

I never tip at Starbucks but I do tip my local coffee shop just because they know my order and take care of me even if there is a big line.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

My son worked at a "fast-casual" restaurant where the staff would split the tips in the jar. Even a few bucks a night means a lot to some of those workers.

So I usually tip a buck for carryout on typical carryout if I am paying with (or have) cash.

I don't like to add carryout tips on the credit card, but I do sometimes. More than a buck if they actually had to do something.

I never round up to the next dollar. Kind of anal, isn't it? Then, I don't balance my checkbook, either.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

I don't tip when I pick up. There's a sushi-Thai place we regularly take out and eat in. We've been known to get $100 of sushi to go, they prepare it well in packaging to go, I feel guilty at times about not tipping.

But if it's curb side pick up I'll throw a couple of bucks at the girl who brings out the food. One daughter worked for a while at an Outback and they do curb side and she made tips regularly shlepping the food out to the car.

I'm a good to very good tipper. 20% minimum on the post-tax bill. And yes, I often round up for the even number. Both of my kids waitress while in college or summers, they thought everyone was like their old-man. They have learned brutal lessons about people. Some people are just horrible, terrible diners.

(BTW: Rick Pitino, inappropriate tipper)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
Draft saved Draft deleted