1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Inappropriate kids to interview on this subject?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Stone Cane, May 15, 2008.

1. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/185/story/158734.html

This is a story about a teacher in New Jersey charged with aggravated sexual assault and criminal sexual conduct after allegedly having sex in a classroom with a 16-year-old girl.

Here's what i had a problem with - the reporter interviewed two students and both are freshmen girls, i assume 14 years old? maybe 15?

Now maybe these interviews were set up with the permission of the parents, although it doesn't seem that way ("while waiting for a ride home.")

But if you're going to interview students for this particular story, I just think you don't interview freshman girls. I know if my daughter who's that age was interviewed by a reporter about a sex assault at her school while she was waiting for a ride home, I wouldn't be real thrilled.

Am I overreacting?

(not to mention the first quote adds nothing to the story -- during school hours? so it would have been OK at 7 p.m. and who uses an exclamation point in a quote - that's ridiculous!)

"During school hours? That's ridiculous!" freshman Haylee Errickson said while waiting with friends for a ride home from school Wednesday.

"I can't imagine that happening at all," freshman Kristen Hallas said. "It's kind of disturbing."

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

When dealing with high school kids, I think it's always best to go through an advocate. Doesn't have to be a parent. If it's during school hours, go through a teacher.
    From the other side, if I was a parent, I would be mad at whoever interviewed my kid, but I would also be mad at the teachers/administrators for allowing press access to students on school grounds.

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I don't see the harm, really. Once a student reaches high school, I think they have the capacity to think and decide for themselves if they want to do an interview or not.

I might think differently if it was someone very close and emotionally involved, but give these students a bit of credit.

4. For sports? Maybe.

For a story like this one, go through parents or a teacher.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

A tape recorder and a witness are a good idea.

6. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

This is probably the right approach. I walk up to the school, find a kid, and talk to him or her all the time, but it's always about sports-related stuff. If I were writing a story on something like this, I would probably go through an adult first.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My kids are much younger, but if a reporter asked one of my kids a question of sexual nature when they were under 18, I'd be pretty fucking pissed.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

So go through a teacher, unless it's your kid, who shouldn't be interviewed at all regardless of whether or not a teacher says it's OK.

Draft saved Draft deleted