1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In your perfect world, what cities and/or eras would you like to work in?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Mar 26, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

So, I'm sitting at home watching The Rocket: The Legend Of Maurice Richard (side note: No thanks to the people at Barnes & Noble, who said, "Sir, we received your order but there was a snafu. We don't have the DVD. We have The Rocket: The Legend of Morris Richard." Yeah. Morris Richard. He played for the Knicks in the 50s. Dolts. Anyway, I disgress).

And I began to think. If you had your choice to live and work in any city, where would it be? If you had your choice to live and work in any era, what would it be?

Since I started this thread, I'll start:

If I could live and work in any city, it would be either Toronto or Montreal. There's just something about a hockey-mad city that calls out to me. And I would love to have covered the Canadiens during the Maurice Richard era.

EDIT: I'm sure this thread has been done to death in the past. So if it is a D_B, my humblest apologies for wasting the board's time.

2. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

I'm not a sportswriter, so mine's not tied to covering a particular team or sport. But I think it'd have been awesome to be covering New York City in the 60s and early 70s, when Breslin, Mailer, Hamill, Tom Wolfe, Gay Talese, etc., were re-inventing the game of journalism. To say nothing of the stories to be told. Present at history, that sort of thing.

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Denver in the 80s and Chicago when the Blackhawks were good and the blues music was being played by guys not alive today.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

1950s and '60s Yankees.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Surprise! Chicago, circa 1920s.

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Covering boxing in the 1930s would have been fun. Major sport at the time. Living in the Depression wouldn't have been so fun, though.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

World War I correspondent in the Balkans.

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

1920s New York City covering the Yankees.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

1950s covering baseball in new york.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Would there have been a better place to live than LA in the late 1950s-early 1960s, with great weather, reasonable traffic and real-estate prices, and the Dodgers, Lakers, and USC and UCLA football and UCLA basketball?

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Brazil in the 50s and 60s, covering Pele.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

London in 1976-77, covering the burgeoning punk music scene.

Draft saved Draft deleted