1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In your opinion, is Brett Favre a .....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Drip, Dec 28, 2009.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Against the Eagles in 2004 and Giants in 2007, Favre threw an AWFUL interception in OT. Both times, he basically heaved a low-flying punt downfield for a jump ball. Both times, he went for the big score instead of simply driving down the field for a possible GW FG. Between those games and the horrific six INT game versus St. Louis (where 3 picks were returned for touchdowns), it is fair to expect Favre to implode in the playoffs at some point.

2. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

One of Favre's TDs was about a 10-yard throw that Donald Driver turned into something like a 90-yard touchdown. Also, another Packer field goal came after Favre threw another interception where the d-back fumbled on the return. Favre was awful that game. And Eli Manning didn't seem to be bothered by the weather while Favre was huddling by a heater.

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

As a, sigh, Dolphins fan -- one playoff game exemplifies to me why Marino wasn't always successful in the playoffs -- because he had too much power and liked to throw the ball so much he was often blinded by it....

Miami versus San Diego - that shitty Natrone Means team that made the Super Bowl and still remains one of the five worst teams to make the Super Bowl even though we've had some garbage like the Bears and Seahawks in recent years make a strong case to be in the bottom five as well --- in 1994.

The Chargers led 22-21 and the Dolphins had the ball with like 25 or 30 seconds left and a time-out. They Dolphins had just received a gift pass interference penalty which gave them the ball on the Chargers 29.

I am screaming ONE FUCKING RUNNING PLAY, A DRAW OR A COUNTER or EVEN A SHUTTLE PASS -- but as a Dolphins fan, I knew what was coming.

First down, deep pass, incomplete. Second down, deep pass that had to be rushed, incomplete. Third down, intermediate pass which if I remember was nearly picked off.

Out trots Pete Stoyanovich for a 46-yard field goal attempt which he misses and of course, all of Miami spent the next two weeks bitching about Stoyanovich missing the kick and ruining Marino's chance to get to the Super Bowl (I can't prove it obviously but I believe they'd have beaten the Steelers the next week), even though the kick was s from a distance that NFL kickers miss (on grass) more than they make and even though had Dan Marino just audibled one time in those three plays and handed it off (San Diego wasn't even worried about a running play) it wuold have made for a more makeable distance for the field goal.

Marino is one of the all-time greats and he certainly didn't have the help that a lot of other guys who won championships did, but he also let his arrogance cost the Dolphins games and this was just one of a number of playoff examples I could point to.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The great irony, of course, is that
    going into that winter's games,
    Manning's (statistically-justified, at the time, btw) reputation was one of a terrible bad-weather
    QB, while the Diva was still revered as the Master of All He
    Surveyed.

How times change.

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This.

And despite all of the truth O_T testifies to here, his pick against Philly in the '03 playoffs was the all-time worst throw I have ever seen. A sharp contrast to his playoff debut in '93, which featured the best throw I have ever seen.

It was a real shame Packer fans made that game about 4th-and-26 at the time, giving Favre a major free pass for a few years. Especially since Bhawoh Jue could be hated for just run-of-the-mill suckiness on any day, not historic-level chokery.

Draft saved Draft deleted