1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by waynew, Sep 26, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

If a high school football player cries in front of a Texas crowd of thousands on a Friday night, it's probably worth noting.
    If it's a cross country runner cries while finishing a race in front of an audience of one, maybe not.
    Case by case basis. A Big 12 quarterback is going to be scrutinized more than a volleyball player for a Div. 3 school.

waynew, did you even bother to read the other thread about the Oklahoma situation? Because you'd find plenty of people here had issues about the column and the sourcing and the chicken anecdote and the subsequent fallout and still managed to discuss it without sounding like children.
    And 21, please please please invite your mom to join us here at the adult table! She'll be so happy to hear her daughter has made it all the way to a 5k circulation.

2. waynew

waynew Member

wicked, no i never said don't write stories about him. But don't write try to paint a picture of his maturilty level of a very young person (21) with some lame anecdotes ... and be careful at all in painting a story about his maturity level -- and stuff that doesn't pertain much to football ...

3. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

4. waynew

waynew Member

gingerbread, yeah, i read some of the posts but didn't clue in until today on this board. sorry for any repetition ... and i've hit back when attacked. i thin there are some interesting points to consider here ... a lot of it is so subtle. i don't think it's black and white as in "if you're old enough to vote, anything can be written about you" ... or if "you're in a public event, anything can be written" ...

really? doesn't the criteria have to shift a little? I reason that most writers already do this -- shift based on their subjects ... but the gundy thing, to me, calls up whether further shifting is necessary ...

5. writing irish

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Stan says he knows more about journalism than waynew.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That's awesome, SC.

8. writing irish

I get the feeling we'll be seeing that one again around these parts.

9. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

*takes bow*

10. waynew

waynew Member

to me, with all of this going on, as you describe, is exactly why newspapers and other media outlets need to give some thoughts to these issues. media outlets should form differentiated ways of approaching coverage. what i mean is, just because fans are dying for more, more, more doesn't mean you give it to them. you apply some principles that take into account all aspects of the situation ... and then try to live by your principles.

it seems like what the okla columnist did was stoop to the Internet level of gossip (not that I'm saying it's OK on the Internet either). ...

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Yeah, arrests don't pertain much to football either.

12. waynew

waynew Member

sportschick -- do you have an argument to put forth or do you just like jumping on a bandwagon?

Draft saved Draft deleted