1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by waynew, Sep 26, 2007.

1. waynew

waynew Member

12,000 posts good doctor. give your hand a break, get some fresh air and go meet some live people. It's nice out there!

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

12,647, happily married and gainfully employed at an actual newspaper, thanks. Please tell me I work at a 5K rag, though. I could use a good laugh.

And that post reads exactly like another troll on here. I'm through with you, foof.

3. 21

21 Well-Known Member

If my mother shows up on this thread we'll have to get more bandwidth.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Please ask Boom to bring the kosker Coke. I'll pay whatever he asks.

5. waynew

waynew Member

"foof" -- yeah, probably 3k circulation.

6. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Ugh. Let's argue the point you made, about the quarterback. We have all made our opinions known on the Gundy situation.

Maybe you could say something to Doc like, "I don't think we should even cover high school sports. They're aren't mature enough to be semi-public figures yet. College students are the same way, do you remember yourself in college? I think all newspaper coverage needs to be reworked. I'm a douche."

7. waynew

waynew Member

Of course, we should cover h.s. sports. Do you cover them differently than you do college? And college differently than pros? Of course, you do ... for pro coverage, you sometimes see a huge takeout -- the athlete has a track record and can be painted in a way that you're confident is accurate. Lots to draw from ... the younger and less experienced the person, the more caution you'll exercise and the less you'll have to draw on ... and when you do draw on something, you'll hve to be careful in what meaning you are assinging to it ...

you probably already have different standards for covering different levels ...

8. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Sold it on eBay. Bought a boat.

My mother loves Waynewton, she'll be stunned to learn he posts here.

9. waynew

waynew Member

Question: in covering college sports will anyone here do anything differently in the future after following the gundy saga? will you think twice about types of anecdotes you use? whether you go with "rumblings" about a kid's character? ...

anything different?

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Wow, Wayne's rant reads like HeinekenMan's -- poor boy got his feelings hurt, so we shouldn't write any more stories about him.

And A (bashing Gundy's asshatishness) doesn't mean B (backing Carlson's opinion). Some of you don't get that.

11. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Most people here wouldn't go with "rumblings" in the first place. Or with half-baked anecdotes. Now, if she had 'rumblings' from within the program and had said that, then I think she gets more slack.

Holding all of us responsible for a column many of us didn't like is reaching more than just a bit.

12. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Colleges and, to a lesser extent but increasing all the time, high schools, want it both ways in our 24/7 media world. They want ESPN and other network money to the point of playing games just about anytime, anywhere. They want their signings covered like major news events. And then they don't want criticism when those athletes fail to live up to the billing? Riiiight.

The appetite for college sports news in a lot of places is insane. Fans can't ask for everything under the sun and then complain when what that is doesn't match their expectations of sunny, nice news. And coaches? BCS-level coaches making high six figures to multi-millions can thank the media for at least half of that check. So take the bitter and the sweet and a tall, cool, logoed glass of STFU.

Draft saved Draft deleted