1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by waynew, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I still say that if you are old enough to get shot and killed in Iraq serving your country, then you are an adult. Who gives a shit if the football players are amateurs? They are still adults and the guy can be ripped in the paper.

What if the column would have been written better, but said the same thing? Would you still say the columnist deserved to be ripped?

2. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

waynew, you need to figure out what your point is and then go with it. At first, from the first thread title, it looked like your point was all sports writers should be beaten.

Then, it is that college and pro athletes should be treated differently.

Now, it's that the column just sucked.

I think I see why you are out of the business.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

See my earlier question. Should writers not have criticized Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Garnett, LeBron James, Carmelo Anthony, etc.? They all were younger when they turned pro than Reid is now.

4. jboy

jboy Guest

Were you a joke writer for Don Rickles after you left the paper? Sheesh.

Grow a pair of grapes and quit your bitching.

5. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

Mother jokes. Nothing says, I've given up my argument like a Mother joke.

6. waynew

waynew Member

so taking some of the logic here ... say you are covering a high school football game, and a QB is having a hard time. He comes to the sidelines and appears to be crying.

Do you report that he appeared to be crying on the sidelines?

He's old enough to be covered in an event. It happened. At least you think that's what you saw.

7. waynew

waynew Member

Tywebb -- read the first entry, and you'll get my point.

8. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

That certain instance might not have much to do with a game, it's not as unique. Now if he is not doing well, appears to throw a tantrum and walks off the field, yeah, I'll probably note it.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why was he crying? I'd try to find that out first. Is it because he played poorly? Is it because his team just lost the state title game? Did he dedicate the game to a deceased friend or loved one?

You didn't do a very thorough job when you were a journalist, did you? I've never before seen someone have to post 10 times in order to refine their point.

10. waynew

waynew Member

The Iraq crap, old enough to vote etc ... is rreally tired. It has nothing to do with anything.

11. waynew

waynew Member

why was mom feeding her son chicken? and i'm not refining my point, I'm engaging in conversation. and being provocative, obviously.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Neither has most of what you've posted on this thread. Come back when you're ready to make a cohesive argument.

Draft saved Draft deleted