1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by waynew, Sep 26, 2007.

1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Your mom called, dinner's ready.

2. waynew

waynew Member

imjustagirl: I think you can draw a harder line on how you cover an adult in the pros. I'm thinking it's more related to age and experience than anything. When you try to illustrate who a kid is you have to be careful. they're young and still growing up ... it's easier to draw conclusions about who a 30-year-old is bsed on their track record ....

3. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

so no juicy bits till everyone is 30. got that 21?

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I didn't care for the column either, but for very different reasons. As for if college players should be coddled: FUCK THAT. I remember when I was 18-22, I could take criticism without calling my mommy or coach (if I had one).

In what way are these "kids" amateur? Because they don't get a definitive paycheck? They get an education worth sometimes over $100,000 (whether or not they choose to use it is on them), free room and board, free training facility, free trainers, free equipment, campus god status, opportunity to play in the pros, and so on, and so on, and so on.

If these 18-22 year old "kids" can't take it, don't play. If Gundy can't handle his players getting criticized, go coach at Podunk High.

This is a gross overreaction by thin-skinned losers that want everything to be fair and everyone to get a long. Life is tough, wear a helmet.

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But there was no "track record" in this column. She took an example of his mom feeding him chicken, combined it with other things she had heard, and went with it.

But you're saying the problem is in that leap. How is that different between a 19-year-old and a 30-year-old? It's still a leap.

6. waynew

waynew Member

No 21, your mom called. my dinner's ready.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

We really don't have enough trolls around here. Thanks, waynew.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Reid is older than some major leaguers when they first came up, including Alex Rodriguez. Why should the standard be any different? If you're old enough to vote, die for your country and (in Reid's case) buy alcohol, there's no reason you shouldn't be treated as an adult.

9. waynew

waynew Member

IMjustagirl -- agreed, it was a leap. a horrible leap. weak, etc ... I'm saying that with someone who is 30 and who has been in the public spotlight, there's probably more to write about -- real actions, things they've done and said -- that paint a stronger picture of who they are ... i agree, the lame-a*& chicken thing would be lame no matter what the age ...

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But that appears to be your point of contention here. That the column was weak because he was not a pro. I'm saying his age had nothing to do with it.

11. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

I think besides the woodshed shit and the Gundy is God stuff and the constant reverting back to the other thread, it's a good question, but it's almost a rhetorical one if you're still a journalist.

I have an issue with this on high school sports, and I think if you are newsworthy enough to be covered in an event, you should be held accountable for actions before, during and after said event. You represent a school — and in some cases, you can be the subject of criticism because your accomplishments are well-chronicled.

Of course, the state of West Virginia disagrees.

Like the LeBron James comment, can columnists call out Houston Texans' Mario Williams, which they did last season, but not 20-year-old first-round draft pick Amobi Okoye?

12. waynew

waynew Member

no, my main point is that I think you have to keep in mind that you are covering college kids. they're still growing up. It's bit harsh to attack someone's character when that character is still developing ...

Draft saved Draft deleted