1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by waynew, Sep 26, 2007.

1. waynew

waynew Member

subject renamed on someone's advice ...

Dear sportswriters,

This is going to hurt me more than it’s going to hurt you.

I’m mostly joking but as a former member of your ranks, I have mixed feelings about the now-legendary rant by Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy – and reaction that has followed – over a column about why he demoted his starting quarterback.

The impromptu trip to the woodshed was raw and from the gut – a very real moment. We don’t get many of those these days. What a contrast to the continuous stream of carefully crafted, politically correct statements we’ve grown used to. Just for expressing his feelings honestly – regardless of whether you agree with him -- it was tremendous theater.

More important, though, is that Gundy’s rant put a spotlight on an issue that needs attention: In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?

It’s a world of gray area that’s widening thanks to the proliferation of the team Web sites, Internet bulletin and other new media. Something needed to be said and Gundy said it. And I’m not the only one who thinks so – people from around the country have contacted Gundy and the university to express their support. He hit a nerve.

College football players are in the middle of making a monumental transition – going from boyhood to manhood. That should be respected. In addition, they’re amateurs – most will never play professionally. The column in question cut to the core of who the kid is. That’s way off base, way too far from the football field – and should be off-limits in my opinion. When players break the law, that’s different story. Allegations brought in court can be substantiated. Character assassinations cannot – they’re just built on “rumors and rumblings,” which is the exact phrase the columnist cited in building her story.

Gundy told the columnist that if she ever becomes a parent, she’ll understand. I’m not big on such admonitions but I actually think this one applies. Maybe that’s because I’m getting older. More likely, it’s because I am the father of a daughter who’s engaged to a former college football player. I’ve seen him and his friends in their private moments. Terrors on the field one moment, getting reminded by Mom to clean their rooms the next. Quite the dichotomy but it’s where these guys live.

Sure, the “proper” response from Gundy would have been for him to call a private meeting with the columnist and her editor to discuss the issue. The “proper” response would have been more measured and civil. But the “proper” response would have had less impact. He grand-standed it, working his post-game victory press conference like a fiery minister works his pulpit.

Because of that, he has elicited lots of conversations by sportswriters, coaches, players and fans. And that’s a good thing.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: Sportswriters get taken to the woodshed (and rightfully so)

Ummm ... that's great. What about this couldn't have been (and hasn't been) addressed on the actual thread?

3. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

This thread should be titled: "In what ways should college sports be covered differently than the pros?"

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Probably a good thing.

I hope in your previous career, you were lucky enough to only work among writers with children, so all the players could be covered by understanding moms and dads.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Thanks for checking in, coach Gundy.

Oh, and the way the coach handled it also caused about a billion more people to learn that the Oklahoma State coach is considered a mama's boy -- if that's what he was going for.

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

So are you saying a college kid isn't as much of a man as a pro? Uh, what about LeBron James? Did he suddenly become a man overnight because he skipped college? Don't think so. You're the quarterback at a major college and you're fair game for criticism, as long as it is indeed fair. I'm not so sure I agree with writing about his mother feeding him, but he's a big boy. He should be able to take it.

7. jboy

jboy Guest

The QB was a little wussy mamma's boy and the coach overreacted to it by acting like a child. Boo fucking hoo. College athletes, just like everyone else, have to learn at some point that they're not going to be coddled anymore. Wuz yer widdle feelings hwurt? Rub some sand it on it and get back in the game nancy boy!

8. waynew

waynew Member

Another way of stating my opinion -- Gundy was out of line but I'm glad he did it. He called that columnist on her SH*(T.

She's either a crappy columnist, got lazy, or just had an extremely bad day. Worse yet, her editors failed her.

To try to sum up someone's character with a lame anecdote that reveals nothing is weak. ... and then admit to basing her story on "rumblings and rumors" and "back stories on the sly" ... don't all newspapers think twice before letting non-attributed stuff in the paper? why would they let that crap in the paper?? ... was it so monumentally important that they had to break their rules? do they have such rules?

I can't believe people would defend that horse*()()t column.

and yeah, good for Gundy for breaking decorum. she deserved it. so did the paper.

9. waynew

waynew Member

TWOGLOVEs .. .the key is "fair" ... a weak-a#$ anecdote that's not fully explained used as a way to sum who the kid is as a person ... is not fair ... it lazy and weak. ... definitely not fair.

10. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

But what do either of those posts have to do with him being in college sted the pros? The column wouldn't have been off base if she had made those same assumptions and attributions as long as the guy was in the NFL?

I don't get your point.

11. waynew

waynew Member

to "21" ... is that your age or your IQ?

With wit like yours, good luck getting anywhere beyond the 5,000 circulation Bismark Daily Bugle where you no doubt have a lock on the cow-chip tossing beat.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Did you see the other thread that is over 25 pages? Almost no one liked the column but that doesn't make Gundy right, either.

Draft saved Draft deleted