1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Treatment on HBO

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bagelchick, Feb 14, 2008.

1. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

Is anyone watching this? It's a bit of a time commitment, but I'm sucked into it. It's a little like "Tell Me You Love Me". I think Gabriel Byrne is terrific in it.

2. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Watching it religiously. Some characters are more compelling than others, but it's interesting stuff.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm glad someone started a thread about this. I had to catch up after the first eight episodes, but I'm glad I did. It took me some time to figure out the schedule, but it was worth it. Agree with you: Byrne is really good in this. So are the others.

My suspicion is it's a more interesting show if you've ever been in therapy than if you haven't, but I could be wrong.

The young woman playing Sophie is a stronger actor than I originally gave her credit for, and the clay feet of Byrne's character are more compelling thanks to our vantage point from dramatic irony.

What do you like about it?

4. Byrne is tremendous ...

5. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

I like Byrne a lot. The show is kind of a tough slog sometimes (why can't one of the characters just be a guy who is afraid of commitment or a garden variety neurotic?) It helps to have a DVR and/or OnDemand...makes watching it a lot easier.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Five nights a week really is a bit much, but so far I'm liking it enough to keep up. Anything Mrs. OOP and I can agree on is a good thing.

Byrne really is outstanding. So is most of the cast. Can't say I care for the couple. I even skipped week two because I just wasn't interested in them. So, of course, I had to catch it later because I missed the blowout with the wife.

I really like hearing him tell Gina about events we saw during the week, which things he mentions, which he holds back and which he twists a little.

7. Gabriel Byrne (Keaton!) is one of the most underrated actors today, so I wil check this out this week.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

One viewing didn't do it for me, but it was enough to make me watch another, which made me watch another, and as I got to know more about the characters, especially the therapist (Byrne), I was hooked.

outofplace described in more detail what I hinted at about the therapist's clay feet. That's one of the best aspects of seeing every episode.

If you have HBO On Demand, it's a great way to get current instead of starting with the current episode and working your way back through it with repeats.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

We watched the first week and found it rather intriguing, but now we're falling behind. We'll catch up at some point, because it's an interesting concept, and as many others have pointed out, Byrne is great (kind of like Brad Renfro in The Client).

10. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Byrne is great in his therapist role, but for some reason I find the Friday installments with his visit to Dianne Wiest the least interesting of the bunch.

And as a big Sports Night fan, it pains me to see Josh Charles playing such an asshole.

11. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

That's an interesting comparison, to "Tell Me You Love Me," and I think you're right. I think the entire show is strong. I was going to cut HBO after "The Wire" ends. Now, I'm not so sure. Heartless bastards, with their quality shows!

12. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

I watched Sophie-Week 3 today. I saw it coming a mile away that she was obviously having some kind of sexual relationship with her coach. What struck me was the phone call Gabriel made at the end. At first I thought it was to her mother, but I think it was to the coach. That will be interesting to see that played out.

And Alex and Laura hooking up is making for an interesting thing. Obviously Gabriel has feelings for her and with everything happening between he and his wife, who knows what will happen there. And do I need to mention how incredible looking Blair Underwood is??!

I think the couple is my least favorite as well, although their episode was so short last week.

I had read somewhere that HBO was not sure how people would watch. Would they watch each night or save up and watch the marathon over the weekend. Or watch it On Demand. Right now, I'm watching each night.

Draft saved Draft deleted