1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In this issue of the Wasilla Frontiersman: raping your spouse is OK!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bob Cook, Jul 22, 2011.

1. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

No, this pastor justifying spousal rape is not affiliated with Sarah Palin's church:

http://www.frontiersman.com/articles/2011/07/20/faith/doc4e25134ce5b39386703783.txt

First, he notes that it's just wrong that you can be convicted of rape without at least two or three witnesses. Then comes this:

But this is not the only problem. The next question we need to ask is to whom does the body belong? While in our day of feminism it is asserted that a woman’s body is her own. Biblically speaking, this is only true prior to marriage, for in Paul’s first epistle to the Corinthians we read:

“Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband. The wife hath not power of her own body, but the husband: and likewise also the husband hath not power of his own body, but the wife.”

The truth is that God has given to us physical needs we commonly refer to as a “sex drive,” and he has designed for these to be met within the bounds of marriage. The trouble comes when one spouse or the other decides to exact retaliation against the other because of some offense and withholds him or herself from his or her mate. This is wickedness, and such is a violation of the spirit of marriage on the part of the withholder.

Thus, if these allegations of spousal rape are due to the wife withholding herself in attempt to control or punish her husband, she is out of line with God. And it doesn’t matter how many laws are passed, it will just be another reason why God will not bless America.

The backlash:
    http://www.ktuu.com/news/ktuu-frontiersman-readers-upset-over-column-on-spousal-rape-20110721,0,7804254.story

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Sounds more like an Islamic take on the situation than Christian.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This is not out of line with what the law was in most states until disturbingly recently. I would have to brush up, but I think that some states still make a pretty big distinction between out-of-marriage and in-marriage sexual assault.

4. FleetFeet

FleetFeet Member

I like the KTUU follow-up. Tried to get in touch with both the pastor and the Frontiersman publisher. No dice. Also ended with the community follow-up on an awareness event.

I won't get into the religious aspect of it - simply because I believe that's up to individual interpretation - but I bet Pastor Hamman won't have a column for much longer. I'd also guess he might not have a congregation much longer.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not "rape rape"
    [​IMG]

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Now that's Dr. Greg Harris' kinda church!

[​IMG]

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, I'm sure his congregation is well-aware of the good pastor's interpretation, and is on board with it. If anything, I'm sure he'll get some new members out of it.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Do we not need to hear Printdusts thoughts on this?

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah, if you're a member of a Pastor's Church -- for years -- you can't reasonably claim ignorance of his views when they become public.

10. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Would this be news if this pastor was from Elko, Nev., and not Wasilla, Alaska?

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

No true Scotsmen notwithstanding, fundamentalist misogynists have multiple religious outlets for their passions.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I see what you did there.

Draft saved Draft deleted