1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In this administration, jobs are given to the loyal.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, Sep 17, 2006.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'd say this is stunning, but it'd be a filthy lie:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14868608/

To paraphrase a fellow Irishman:

Worst. Administration. Ever.

2. "In this administration jobs are given to the loyal." As opposed to which administration?

3. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

It's not unusual for jobs to be given to those loyal to an administration. What's unusual is the total lack of concern about whether those appointed could do the job. Iraq isn't the only place this has happened--let's not forget about ol' Brownie.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Competence has never been an issue of concern for the modern GOP --- only the ability to follow the company line.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Much like the modern Democrat party. Nancy Pelosi's insistence that no Dem house members collaborate with the GOP on bipartisan legislation being a good example of this.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

blahblahblah

FACT: The Bushies were more interested in appointing people based on their politics than in their ability to do the job required. Which probably explains why the Bushies have been stepping on their dicks in Iraq for three years.

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

FACT: Every president in American history is guilty of the same crime.

What's your point?

8. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I second Armchair on this one (this should not even be a topic for discussion, if no one learned anything from U.S. History classes).

What is HB and your point about this story, other than still being pissed off about a fucking President? "If that's what you got," as Dee Snider eloquently said, "then your best won't do." We didn't need this topic to be created to solve anything, Sherlock.

It's amazing when people don't remember the age-old adage of "to the victors, belong the spoils." Hell, even I knew that phrase from third grade social studies. It's not rocket science, Mr. Peabody. George Washington's done it, Napoleon's crazy ass did the same. Teddy Roosevelt, FDR, Eisenhower, Nixon, and Carter are guilty of this.

If your man (or woman) wins anything, you ride their coattails to a guaranteed job or rake in the gravy. It happens to everyone. Whoop-a-fuckin'-dee. And it doesn't necessarily pertain to politics, either.

Funny, we're the same motherfuckers who bitched about every president stuffing his office to the brim with his flunkies. Shit, I'd do the same and collect $200 while passing GO.

Tell us something we don't already know about world politics in general.

9. dog428

dog428 Active Member

I love the "hey, the Democrats did the same thing" response.

That's nice. Small problem, though.

We've been told time and again that Clinton was responsible for nothing, that it was the people he put in place who really did the most good for the country.

So, if he was only inserting his pals and his pals are given all the credit for what now seems like an eight-year utopia, I guess you're saying Clinton was rolling with a smarter, more competent bunch than Fredo?

That's what we all thought. Glad everyone else is beginning to realize it.

10. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

Hear that, righties defending Bush on this one? That's the sound of the Clinton White House travel office talking point flying out the window.

"Everyone does it?" Please, unless you can show us something on par with taking obviously unqualified people and putting them in charge of securing a volatile country we've occupied, based almost solely on their political beliefs.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Everyone does do it, but the House of Shrubby seems to go to particularly Olympian lengths to find utterly unqualified and incompetent idiots to stick in every available position.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

"Heckuva job, Brownie"

Draft saved Draft deleted