1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the wake of...

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Point of Order, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

Below are just a few of the things that have happened today "in the wake of" another thing:

Obama calls for humility, civility in the wake of Tucson massacre
    Vancouver Sun - Sheldon Alberts - ‎5 hours ago‎
    The sheriff of Pima County, which includes Tucson, stirred the debate in the wake of the shootings by saying...

Obama Calls for Civility in Wake of Tragedy
    CBS News

Calif. colleges consider limiting enrollment in wake of proposed budget cuts
    Bellingham Herald - Lisa M. Krieger - ‎27 minutes ago‎

In the wake of President Obama's call for a more productive discourse following the Tucson tragedy, Democratic Senator Mark Udall of Colorado is urging ...
    CBS News - Brian Montopoli - ‎4 hours ago‎

Ariz. GOP official quits in wake of Giffords shooting, says he received ...
    New York Daily News - Philip Caulfield - ‎12 hours ago‎
    A prominent Republican in Arizona resigned in the wake of Saturday's shooting, saying that threats from Tea Party members had him fearing for his life.

13 WTHRHigh capacity gun magazines selling out in wake of AZ shootings
    WTHR - ‎6 hours ago‎
    Indianapolis - In the wake of the Tucson shootings, high capacity gun magazines, like the one used by the shooter, are a hot seller at some local gun stores ...

Some in Congress want gun ban exemption in the wake of Tucson shooting
    KSDK - ‎14 hours ago‎

Christian Science Monitor - Patrik Jonsson - ‎5 hours ago‎
    Despite gun control efforts in Congress in the wake of the Arizona shooting, it's unlikely that America will see more gun control laws.

Lawmakers And The Crazy Laws They Want To Pass In The Wake Of Tucson Tragedy
    Huffington Post - ‎4 hours ago‎

Activists challenge convictions in wake of police spy revelations
    The Guardian - ‎7 hours ago‎
    Twenty environmental activists are seeking to overturn recent criminal convictions in the wake of the Guardian's revelations about a network of undercover ...

Discovery building boosts security in wake of hostage standoff
    Examiner.com - ‎1 hour ago‎
    The Silver Spring headquarters of Discovery Communications is reportedly beefing up security in the wake of last September's hostage situation, ...

Womack Won't Make Security Changes In Wake Of Tucson Tragedy
    KSPR - Jared Broyles - ‎5 hours ago‎

County adds security in wake of Arizona shooting
    Greensboro News & Record (blog) - ‎6 hours ago‎
    In the wake of the shootings in Arizona last weekend, Guilford County is taking additional security precautions for its county commissioners meetings.

CBS News - Brian Montopoli - ‎8 hours ago‎
    An aide to Sarah Palin tells CBS News that there has been an increase in death threats against the former Alaska governor in the wake of the shootings in ...

So, my very loaded question is this: Is there a more overused metaphor in the English language than "in the wake of"?

2. Point of Order

Probably should have posted this on the journalism board. If someone can move it I'd appreciate it.

3. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

At the end of the day, I think all these writers gave 110 percent.

4. Point of Order

First off, thank you so much for responding. It was touch and go there for a while. Second, those lines you mention are bad, but at least they're usually bad cliche quotes of coaches and players and not the writer's own metaphor.

5. verbalkint

verbalkint Member

Fair enough, though at first you said "in the English language," and the two pieces of drivel I cited have seeped into the wider culture. But, if it's narrowed down to scribes, I'd say "in the wake of" is probably one of the most used lazy phrases. In the wake... uhm, after seeing this list you put together, I'll certainly try to avoid it in the future.

Draft saved Draft deleted